Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10601
View in linear mode

Subject: "CNX2" Previous topic | Next topic
ColColt Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2008Fri 05-Jul-13 12:17 AM
1076 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"CNX2"

Knoxville, US

Suddenly today NX2 has started assigning a suffix to my uploaded photos. They are ending in (1) for some reason. So, I'll have a _DEF4553(1) in my NEF file before any changes are done. What could have caused that and is there a remedy?

My goal in life is to be the person my dog already thinks I am.

Children are for people who can't have dogs. ~Author Unknown

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: CNX2
jrp Administrator
05th Jul 2013
ColColt Silver Member
05th Jul 2013
jrp Administrator
05th Jul 2013
ColColt Silver Member
05th Jul 2013
jrp Administrator
05th Jul 2013
ColColt Silver Member
05th Jul 2013
robsb Platinum Member
05th Jul 2013
ColColt Silver Member
06th Jul 2013
ericbowles Moderator
06th Jul 2013
ColColt Silver Member
06th Jul 2013
ColColt Silver Member
06th Jul 2013
robsb Platinum Member
09th Jul 2013

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberFri 05-Jul-13 12:35 AM
34294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: CNX2"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 05-Jul-13 12:37 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Where is your cache folder for CNX2?
How does the same file name looks in your camera and in ViewNX2?

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

ColColt Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2008Fri 05-Jul-13 01:06 AM
1076 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: CNX2"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 05-Jul-13 01:08 AM by ColColt

Knoxville, US

In the camera it's just 100-1, 100-2, 100-3, etc. The cache is located on another drive I called F-drive at F:\Archive NX2. All my digital photos are separate from C-drive. I don't use ViewNX2.

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberFri 05-Jul-13 03:48 AM
34294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: CNX2"
In response to Reply # 2

OK.
I keep my cache separate from my images.
Cache is in one scratch drive and images are in another drive.
When an image is modified/updated, it may be saved with that {1} termination to have a duplicate, without changing the original.
So, you may have two versions of the same file.
I can't remember the exact settings that do this, but I've seen it when dealing with the tiff file versions in the cache.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

ColColt Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2008Fri 05-Jul-13 04:03 PM
#4. "RE: CNX2"
In response to Reply # 3

Knoxville, US

Something has gone haywire. I have imagines in this same folder that have a higher number than those I most recently shot...the other day. My last older imagine was numbered xxx4419.NEF. That was three months ago in April. These newer images I shot the other day are xxx4153(1). I have an image already numbered xxx4153.NEF. I also have another image numbered xxx4155.NEF yet the newer ones are xxx4155(1) instead of going to a higher number, such as xxx4453.NEF, for instance. It's like NX2 has skipped going higher and now has added the (1) suffix to each photo. I've done no changes to the menu so, I'm not sure what's happened.

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberFri 05-Jul-13 06:34 PM
#5. "RE: CNX2"
In response to Reply # 4

My archive is organized by camera, year, date.
And the cache for post-processing is kept separate.
That way file name collisions are minimized.

Have a great time

ColColt Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2008Fri 05-Jul-13 07:35 PM
#6. "RE: CNX2"
In response to Reply # 5

Knoxville, US

I'm not sure what to do with this. I've been using NX2 for at least five years and haven't had this happen before. Do you know of a fix to get it back on the right track?

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 05-Jul-13 08:36 PM
12588 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: CNX2"
In response to Reply # 4

San Jose, US

It sounds like from your description that CNX2 has lost its way in counting, but recognizes that your file includes some image already assigned the number it is using so it adds the. I for one do not use cache, but I suggest that you delete the cache and see if that fixes the problem.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

ColColt Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2008Sat 06-Jul-13 12:07 AM
#8. "RE: CNX2"
In response to Reply # 7
Sat 06-Jul-13 12:07 AM by ColColt

Knoxville, US

Browser or editing cache? I forgot the last time I did that which.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 06-Jul-13 12:39 PM
8515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: CNX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

The (1) suffix normally indicates a second image of the same name in the same folder. Most likely what is happening is your naming convention is adding the images to an existing folder and you have a limit set on the number of digits for your file name. I use a sequential naming approach and when you go from 4 digits to 5 or 5 to 6 you need to add another digit for the name or it repeats with the notation (1). For example, after 9999 comes either 10000 or 0001(1).

This keeps you from overwriting an image with a newer one. You can sort the images by date taken and batch rename them.

I have a unique sequential number for every image. The number does not repeat. This prevents me from ever having a duplicate image, overwriting unintentionally, or having the (1) suffix. I've been using this approach for about 5 years. I can easily find an image file with a single search by the sequential number. Of course I have other details in the name as well such as the location and date.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Fall Workshops - Golf Photography at the Tour Championship and Fall Color in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

ColColt Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2008Sat 06-Jul-13 01:22 PM
#10. "RE: CNX2"
In response to Reply # 9

Knoxville, US

Until recently all the names for every folder and every photo started with _DEFxxxx.NEF. I don't know why the sequence of numbers didn't continue as they always have. If the last photo taken in a given number for any folder was _DEF4500.NEF, the next should have been _DEF4501.NEF...not _DEF4500(1).NEF. But, that's what's happened. If I have a _DEF4502.NEF, it will go to the next photo and call it instead of ...4503, _DEF4502(1).NEF. I only have four digits for the numbering as seen by the 4500 series. Nothing should have changed. I don't know how to avoid this or fix what's already been done. It shouldn't have added a number already there and just suffix it.

ColColt Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2008Sat 06-Jul-13 11:46 PM
#11. "RE: CNX2"
In response to Reply # 10
Sat 06-Jul-13 11:47 PM by ColColt

Knoxville, US

Well, apparently there's no way to fix this and it will continiue to do this. I don't have a similar folder with a similar file name or second image of the same name in the same folder and am still on only four digits...being in the 4000 range. No reason NX2 should have numbered them as it did.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 09-Jul-13 02:36 AM
12588 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#12. "RE: CNX2"
In response to Reply # 11

San Jose, US

OK more questions for you. How are you ingesting images into your computer? Are you using Transfer 2 in VNX2? If you are using Transfer 2 are you renaming files on entry and if so how many digits have you assigned to the name? How do you have naming set up in Camera?

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10601 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.