Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #1058
View in linear mode

Subject: "NX2 and portable storage for backpacker" Previous topic | Next topic
Pepethepirate Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2008Fri 29-Jan-10 08:50 PM
62 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NX2 and portable storage for backpacker"
Fri 29-Jan-10 08:52 PM by Pepethepirate

Santa Cruz, US

Does anyone know if portable image storage devices (Photo Safe, Epson) fully store NEFS? After a trip, when I download my images to a computer, I want to be able to utilize the Develop Section and the Exposure Compensation adjustments in NX2. I've been looking at devices online, but I'm unable to decipher if they store the camera info that NX2 utilizes.

Previously, I have had my Compact Flash memory copied to CD whenever I stumbled across a business that performed that service and then I could reuse my memory cards. But now that I'm a NX2 junkie, this "technique" will no longer do!

I love to travel for 2+ months at a time - local buses and trains, backpack, cheap hotels. Lugging around a laptop won't cut it. My thought is that in lieu of purchasing 70 extra Compact Flash cards, I might buy some really cool technology instead. And then I would continue to have the CDs made for extra backup.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NX2 and portable storage for backpacker
BjornHa
29th Jan 2010
jimsanders Silver Member
01st Feb 2010
glxman Silver Member
01st Feb 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
01st Feb 2010
Pepethepirate Silver Member
02nd Feb 2010

BjornHa Registered since 04th Mar 2009Fri 29-Jan-10 09:17 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NX2 and portable storage for backpacker"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 29-Jan-10 09:21 PM by BjornHa

NO

"Camera info" is embedded in the NEF-file.
So then you save a NEF-file you get all the info with you.

Therefore a backup-device will fully backup everything.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jimsanders Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2008Mon 01-Feb-10 12:08 AM
949 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NX2 and portable storage for backpacker"
In response to Reply # 0

Buffalo, US

A NEF is a NEF. It does not depend on where you store it.

One caution about the portable storage devices: They all depend on an internal hard drive. If all of your images are stored on one storage device for a couple of months, you are risking everything on that electro-mechanical device. As they say, don't put all your eggs in one basket.

I currently own three portable devices (one Jobo and two Colorspace 0 units) and, knock on wood, they have been super dependable. But they are used by me as a backup only; the images are always somewhere else too.

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Mon 01-Feb-10 03:20 AM
3017 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NX2 and portable storage for backpacker"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

Hi Natalie,

IMHO, as mentioned previously, it is a good idea not to "keep all your eggs in one basket"

A friend of mine who is a fishing Journo, travels all around the world, he started out carrying a laptop and portable devices but found it was just too much gear and too much hassle,

To use his expression, he just carries a "hat full of flash cards", and "PP" on his return,

On one trip, he was doing his usual river crossing and got washed down stream, all his camera gear died but he dried out the cards, which were all OK,

Even shooting raw, 14 bit, I can get 1500 images out of ten cards, (4gb), which I used on my last trip, (3mths),

I did have a laptop and NX2 but I never format the cards until I get home and have the images on DVD, don't trust any electronic device!

As you can see, I only use 4gb cards, (fit just nice on a DVD),

4gb cards are relatively cheap, although your other option is to get larger cards, like 10, 8gb or 16gb cards, but there is a cost differential,

Last but not least, buying good cards, is a must, cheap cards can end in tears! I had to recover images for friends due to corrupt cards or they have just been chimping too much and deleting to make space instead of having enough cards,

Something that you could do is shoot NEF+Jpeg, I think you would be able to view the jpeg? I'm not 100% sure but I think the Epson device has that option,

Regards,
Gary

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 01-Feb-10 04:05 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: NX2 and portable storage for backpacker"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Please complete your equipment profile, it will help others provide a complete answer to your question.

As noted the Epson P-700/600 Multimedia Photo Viewer does have a hard drive within the unit and with enough jarring that device can fail. The Epson Multimedia Photo Viewer can read the following Nikon
D2X, D2Xs, D3, D3X, D60, D70, D70s, D90, D80, D50, D40, D40X, D200, D300, D700, D2H, D2Hs, D3000, D5000, and D300s NEF files.

With the price of the Epson product, you might consider a netbook and external DVD burner.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Pepethepirate Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2008Tue 02-Feb-10 07:44 PM
62 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: NX2 and portable storage for backpacker"
In response to Reply # 4

Santa Cruz, US

Thanks for your invaluable input. I hadn't considered that a device might fail from jarring or drowning! Also, a friend mentioned that two prongs pulled loose when she was removing a memory card from her portable storage device and she was afraid to rely on the device for the remainder of her trip. So, I'm leaning now toward purchasing a case of memory cards.....wow, who woulda thunk!
Oh, I still shoot with a D70s.......I've been stuck, deciding between a D300 or D700 for so long that the choices are old! So now I'm awaiting the next announcement that hopefully will spur me into a decision. Natalie

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #1058 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.