Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10524
View in linear mode

Subject: "Histogram differences" Previous topic | Next topic
William Rounds Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Tue 18-Jun-13 10:09 PM
290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Histogram differences"
Tue 18-Jun-13 10:12 PM by William Rounds

Rambouillet, FR

I post process with NX2 and with DxO. I notice that there is a significant difference in the histogram presented from the same NEF file in DxO compared to NX2. When I shoot RAW format images I set all of the in-camera settings to neutral (whether D700 or D7000), thinking this would eliminate any in-camera treatment of the file that would be interpreted in NX2. Shouldn't the two histograms be identical?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Histogram differences
aolander Silver Member
18th Jun 2013
William Rounds Gold Member
18th Jun 2013
walkerr Administrator
18th Jun 2013
ericbowles Moderator
19th Jun 2013
Robman3 Gold Member
19th Jun 2013
Dadorian Gold Member
23rd Jun 2013

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Tue 18-Jun-13 10:10 PM
3053 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Histogram differences"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

DxO doesn't know of your in-camera settings so uses it's own.

Alan

William Rounds Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Tue 18-Jun-13 10:14 PM
290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Histogram differences"
In response to Reply # 1

Rambouillet, FR

In DxO I can use a "no treatment" preset which I assumed meant "no-treatment". Is there a "no treatment" preset in NX2?

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 18-Jun-13 11:47 PM
14174 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Histogram differences"
In response to Reply # 2

Colorado Springs, US

Neither program has a "no treatment" preset. If they did, you'd be pretty surprised at what it looked like.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 19-Jun-13 11:20 AM
8147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Histogram differences"
In response to Reply # 2

Atlanta, US

The closest you can get to no treatment in Nikon Capture NX2 is the Neutral Picture Control with sharpness adjusted to zero. I created a picture control called Neutral - No Sharpening for this purpose. I use it when noise needs to be minimized. I apply capture sharpening as a separate step in the editing process.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Robman3 Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Apr 2010Wed 19-Jun-13 05:42 PM
1721 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Histogram differences"
In response to Reply # 4

West of Santa Monica, US

Something I practice now as learned from you

Rob

Dadorian Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2011Sun 23-Jun-13 07:52 AM
55 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Histogram differences"
In response to Reply # 0

Johannesburg, ZA

It would be interesting to see the differences you are experiencing?

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10524 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.