Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10449
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX2" Previous topic | Next topic
bkruppa Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2013Sun 02-Jun-13 05:24 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX2"

Bluffton, US

I have the latest version of Capture and just started having some issues that I can't resolve.

1: I just finished a photo shoot and transferred my raw + jpeg files to my laptop. When I got home I also transferred the same files (from my memory card) to my desktop computer. So far everything is good. However, when opening the files in Capture all I see are the NEF files (raw) and not the jpeg files. If I open up the same on my laptop both files are there for editing. I went back to my desktop and looked at the base file itself and indeed both files are there but Capture for what ever reason doesn't recognize the jpeg files. I checked to make sure that All Images was checked so that isn't the issue. Any suggestions? Never had this problem before.

2: Just installed all the software for a new Canon printer. When I go into any program that can print and bring up the print routine I get the Canon Print Window that contains all of the print parameters that I can set for printing (i.e., paper size, type, borderless, etc.) This comes up with every program but Capture NX2 where I get the very basic print window with no choices for lets say paper type or the dozens of other parameters that I get in the Canon window. On the top of the window it does list the Canon printer but that is about it. This occurs on my laptop and when I get home I will install the same on my desktop and see if it brings up the Canon print window. Suggestions?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX2
rbaskin Silver Member
02nd Jun 2013
bkruppa Silver Member
02nd Jun 2013
ericbowles Moderator
03rd Jun 2013
bkruppa Silver Member
03rd Jun 2013
ericbowles Moderator
03rd Jun 2013

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007Sun 02-Jun-13 06:24 PM
338 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Ridgefield, US

Is your browser window set for "All Images"? When you have CNX2's browser window open, at the top look right next to the rating stars. There is a drop down that shows what your currently set to.

I don't have a Canon printer, but to get to all the options on my HP I first have to just select 'print' in the initial print layout window. I then get the general print window from Windows. From there I choose 'preferences' and it opens up the HP driver.

BTW, if you're trying to center an image on the paper, CNX2 can be frustrating. I tend to print from Photoshop or other program if I have to have it centered. It is pretty good at multiple images or multiple copies on a page.

Hope this helps.

Ralph in CT

bkruppa Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2013Sun 02-Jun-13 06:53 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 1

Bluffton, US

Ralph. Choosing "Print" did indeed bring me to the general Windows print window and then choosing "Preferences" got me to the Canon Print Window. Thanks.

As for the lost jpeg files yes I have the "All Images" selected. I'll have to check when I get back home to see if this occurs with older
NEF + jpeg files or is it limited to this particular set of pix.

As for centering I will keep what you said in mind. I did have some issues with what was shown on the NX2 display window that got cropped a bit when I went to print even though I used the proper crop size (i.e. 4 x 6 in this particular instance.) But most of the pix came out acceptable.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 03-Jun-13 07:16 PM
8514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

In Capture, just to the right of the selection for All Images, is a small icon. This icon lets you choose to have paired images of NEF and JPEG displayed as a single image or display all of the images. The default is to display the pair as a single image. View works essentially the same way - NEF+JPEG are displayed as a single image. If you want to see just NEF or Just JPEG, simply select that option.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

bkruppa Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2013Mon 03-Jun-13 07:53 PM
#4. "RE: Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 3

Bluffton, US

Eric. I'll bet that is why I am not seeing the jpge image. When I get back home I will try that on my desktop computer. The question is what is a "paired" image? When I do this the title is listed as NEF. When editing the NEF image is the jpeg image being affected also?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 03-Jun-13 08:18 PM
8514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 4

Atlanta, US

If you're shooting RAW + JPEG the assumption is you'll want a consolidated view. So the default treatment is to keep both images in the same folder and simplify life by just showing one copy. Once they are no longer the same due to edits or whatever, it's the edited NEF that you would want to see.

I typically keep RAW and JPEG in separate folders since the JPEG is for a very specific reason. I think you'll find that since the NEF and JPEG look the same in Capture, and because conversion is easy, its better to just shoot RAW.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10449 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.