nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #1044
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX2 question" Previous topic | Next topic
D90nikon   US  Registered since 08th Aug 2009 Thu 28-Jan-10 11:29 AM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX2 question"

I have recently downloaded the trial version of NX2 and have been noticing a problem when trying to adjust contrast / brightness in a photo that has just been rotated. When I try to adjust brightness the photo will switch back to its original orientation. I very well may not be following procedure. Has any one else noticed this issue, or am I just doing something wrong? This is the first time I have used Capture NX2. I have a windows Vista 32 bit system / quad core Q6600 and 4 gigs of ram.

Thanks for time,

Barry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

sevtcard Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009 Thu 28-Jan-10 01:20 PM
332 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX2 question"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 28-Jan-10 02:56 PM by sevtcard

Barry -

without more information, i suspect that the reason for this behavior is that you have not checked off 'keep all edit steps in the active list' found under the general preferences tab, which you can reach through 'edit' on the menu bar. in the situation where this preference is not checked off, going back to any earlier step will return the image to where it was at the time that step was entered, ignoring or temporarily undoing any later steps, such as rotating the image or whatever else you might have done.

this segues into another crucial and often irritating point that arises when keeping all of the steps active. if, at the end of your processing, you crop the image or rotate it and then go back and try to add a local change such as a mask or such as adding a color control point, the color control point, etc., will not be applied to the area you think it should be affecting. you need to un-check the crop step or rotation and then go back and add the local changes. However, any such changes added after the rotation/crop will be applied appropriately.

Mark

R Mark Burke
www.broadwallphotography.com

Reilly M   Monrovia, US  Registered since 26th Jul 2008 Thu 28-Jan-10 04:29 PM
983 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX2 question"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 28-Jan-10 04:31 PM by Reilly M

Yes to the 'keep all edit steps in the active list'.
It does put more demands on your CPU and memory. OK, the
'puter's memory.

I always rotate first and crop/resize last. No probs that way.

yours,
Reilly

The only stupid question is the one you should have asked....

d70click Silver Member  Washington DC, US  Nikonian since 25th Aug 2007 Thu 25-Mar-10 04:52 PM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX2 question"
In response to Reply # 1

Mark, sorry for jumping into this thread so late in the game (3/25), but I don't understand your second paragraph. Can you be a bit more detailed in your response?

My habit has been to crop first, then apply needed changes. If my image contains data I will later crop out, I may apply a white or black color point to that area, and then what happens when I crop that out? Ever since I learned of the "keep all edit steps..." check box, I have been much, much happier with NX2. But I realize your second paragraph is a warning of some sort, and I would like to understand the potential issue.

'Preciate your time.

-Scott

sevtcard Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009 Thu 25-Mar-10 06:51 PM
332 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Capture NX2 question"
In response to Reply # 3

adding a crop or rotation step will not affect any previous changes...it's only when you go back earlier in time prior to those changes that problems arise.

in order to apply any local changes to a step done BEFORE a crop or rotation, you need to uncheck the crop/rotation box done in a later step. for example, say at some point in your work flow, you add a color control point to a green area. then, let's say, later in that work flow, you crop/rotate the picture for whatever reason. if you then decide to go back and add a new control point on a blue area, or maybe even decide that a previous global 'levels & curves' should only be applied selectively, these steps will NOT be applied to the areas you think you'll be affecting unless you remember to turn off the crop/rotation step done at the end of the work flow.

my habit is to work the entire picture and then to crop out later (unless it's really obvious from the beginning that i want to crop the picture...even then i still often work the entire picture). if that later crop seems to need more work, i've got to remember to uncheck the crop step.

you can get around this, though. for example, if you've done a great deal of global (note not 'selective') work on a photo and then decide that it should be cropped, you can save the steps under 'save settings' to some name like 'temp,' then delete all the steps, add in the crop and then load the 'temp' settings and then add any local changes you like...or do the crop, add some control points and then load the 'temp' settings. but if you've done some selective changes and apply this method, they will not be applied correctly...it's sometimes comical to see the results of such an endeavor...

Mark

R Mark Burke
www.broadwallphotography.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #1044 Previous topic | Next topic