Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10435
View in linear mode

Subject: "Black Thumbnails with View NX2" Previous topic | Next topic
drjh68 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2003Thu 30-May-13 02:24 PM
143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Black Thumbnails with View NX2"

Woodbridge, Suffolk, GB

GREETINGS from Suffolk UK

Suddenly View NX2 when opened has started showing totally black thumbnails. If I then double-click on them they open as full size pictures. If I close the full size picture, it reverts to the all black thumbnail.

Can any one kindly suggest what has caused this? Many thanks.

James

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Black Thumbnails with View NX2
SRFast Silver Member
31st May 2013
Covey22 Moderator
05th Jun 2013
Asgard Administrator
05th Jun 2013
Covey22 Moderator
06th Jun 2013
Covey22 Moderator
18th Jun 2013
Asgard Administrator
31st May 2013
drjh68 Silver Member
04th Jun 2013
LAMILLER
25th Jun 2013
Covey22 Moderator
08th Jul 2013
drjh68 Silver Member
08th Jul 2013
Covey22 Moderator
08th Jul 2013
expat Silver Member
09th Jul 2013
nrothschild Silver Member
09th Jul 2013
Covey22 Moderator
12th Jul 2013
Asgard Administrator
12th Jul 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
23rd Aug 2013

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004Fri 31-May-13 01:02 AM
1451 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Black Thumbnails with View NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

New York City, US

James,
What version of VNX2 are you using? I recommend using the latest version 2.7.5. You can get it here: http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61#Anchor-1

Let us know if this resolves your issue.

Regards...JL

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 05-Jun-13 01:57 PM
10629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Black Thumbnails with View NX2"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I'm actually having this same problem - updated to 2.7.5 last night - I'm on Windows 7 64-bit. Also cleared the cache. The blank thumbnails still persist. I might need to try a reboot to see if that helps.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Wed 05-Jun-13 09:12 PM
50845 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Black Thumbnails with View NX2"
In response to Reply # 4

East Frisia, DE

All OK now ?

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 06-Jun-13 12:39 PM
10629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Black Thumbnails with View NX2"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Gerold! Ironically, I did reboot last night, but guess what, I forgot to TEST ViewNX2. Sigh. Getting old. Will report on this later tonight, as I get to start the weekend a little early...

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 18-Jun-13 08:31 PM
#7. "RE: Black Thumbnails with View NX2"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Well, Microsquish in their weekly Thursday updates forced me to reboot several times, but I only just had to start editing a new batch of photos last night. The end result - the thumbnails are back, and I did upgrade to the latest version. So we seem to be all set. The solution appears to be: Upgrade, then reboot.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Fri 31-May-13 06:43 PM
50845 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Black Thumbnails with View NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

A second thought, have you already cleared the browser cache in ViewNX ?

Eala Freya Fresena

drjh68 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2003Tue 04-Jun-13 11:19 AM
143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Black Thumbnails with View NX2"
In response to Reply # 2

Woodbridge, Suffolk, GB

Hallo JL and Gerald,

Many thanks for your very speedy response with good advice. And apologies for not acknowledging them sooner - I have been away from home.

Rather weirdly, my View NX2 suddenly reverted to normal, non-black images without my being aware of doing anything to help with that. So the problem disappeared. But the exercise has been valuable in alerting me to the fact that I did not have the latest update, which I have now downloaded, which also displays the thumb nails correctly.

I am very grateful.
Best wishes,

James

LAMILLER Registered since 13th Jun 2013Tue 25-Jun-13 12:31 AM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Black Thumbnails with View NX2"
In response to Reply # 3

Brevard, NC, US

I am really beginning to really like Nikonians. Last week I bought a D800 and installed the version of View NX2 that came in the box. I too had black thumbnails.

So I started looking on Nikonians for the solution. Low and behold I found it. I dounloaded the latest version on View NX2 and still had black thumbnails. Then I read a member rebooted and problem solved.

Guess what I did and guess what happened? You guessed it... problem solved.

Thanks you all you folks rock.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 08-Jul-13 03:35 PM
#9. "RE: Black Thumbnails with View NX2"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Sadly, the black thumbs have returned. I'll have to reboot again and see what happens. I might need to uninstall/re-install. I have a suspicion that this is only happening on 64-bit OS versions.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

drjh68 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2003Mon 08-Jul-13 04:10 PM
#10. "RE: Black Thumbnails with View NX2"
In response to Reply # 8

Woodbridge, Suffolk, GB

Hallo Covey 22.

You will see that I got useful advice and so solved the problem by downloading the latest version of View NX2. But out of the blue it suddenly went into black thumbnails again. So I simply restarted the computer and all was well. So the story may not yet have reached the last page.

James

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 08-Jul-13 07:29 PM
#11. "RE: Black Thumbnails with View NX2"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Yep - I originally suggested earlier in the thread to reboot, and it worked, for a while. Will have to try it when I get home.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Tue 09-Jul-13 10:35 AM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Black Thumbnails with View NX2"
In response to Reply # 11

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

As a matter of interest I have seen black thumbnails in Capture NX2 (latest version) and also saw two on my D700 LCD recently ie on the card before ingest to PC so it may not be View NX2 specific.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Tue 09-Jul-13 11:16 AM
10910 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Black Thumbnails with View NX2"
In response to Reply # 12

US

>> and also saw two on my D700 LCD recently ie on the card before ingest to PC so it may not be View NX2 specific.

Remove lens cap before shooting . Just kidding although it sounds like a bad exposure???

For those having this issue, it may be possible that you have two versions of the Nikon WIC codecs installed, or some fragment of some previously installed codec. You may want to check your list of installed programs, uninstall any installed Codecs, and maybe View/Capture too, then reinstall whatever you uninstalled.

Rebooting is always required when codecs are updated because they are always in use by Windows Explorer, if nothing else.

Whenever you are working directly or indirectly with Codec installs and reinstalls it is best to reboot between each step. For example, if you uninstall a Codec or an app like View or Capture that might install a codec, reboot immediately afterwards even if not "required" by some popup message or the installer.

Certainly reboot before re-installing codecs. This prevents odd pieces of not properly installed program objects from creating these problems in the first place, and I suspect this problem is somehow related to all that.

Also reboot between installs and uninstalls of Capture and View. This may sound overly cautious but basically it is a way to end-run a potentially poorly written install routine or some problem inherent to how Windows deals with in use code fragments that are uninstalled.

The fact that the problem comes and goes, and at least temporarily goes away after a reboot, is very suggestive of a pathing issue with multiple versions of something, in this case very likely the codecs, but could be some other piece of the puzzle.

The WIC codecs allow Windows Explorer, as well as other apps, to display thumbnails and extract for display the large embedded JPG from raw files. I assume they are installed by ViewNX and CaptureNX, and you can also download them and install them separately. That is a recipe for version conflicts . If it is not done right by the developers, and Windows.

my Nikonians gallery.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 12-Jul-13 08:03 PM
#14. "RE: Black Thumbnails with View NX2"
In response to Reply # 13

US

I'll uninstall, run regcleaner and reboot. Then install again and reboot - again. Let's see what happens.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Fri 12-Jul-13 08:42 PM
#15. "RE: Black Thumbnails with View NX2"
In response to Reply # 12

East Frisia, DE

Maybe this Nikon Software helps.

Eala Freya Fresena

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 23-Aug-13 01:38 PM
3348 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Black Thumbnails with View NX2"
In response to Reply # 15

Dyserth, GB

It's a while since this post started, but I am fed up with View NX2 and black thumbnails. I did post earlier this year and thought it was cured, no such luck. Since then due to a fatal system crash I have had to rebuild my PC and reload the OS (Windows 7 pro. 64bit) but I have downloaded v2.8.0 of ViewNX and low and behold, black thumbnails. Nikon just told me to remove it and download their Reg Sweeper software to remove all registry files associated with the software. I have done all that and no go, still intermittent black thumbnails.

As the PC has been reformatted and reloaded I think I can dismiss any problems. Does anyone know please if this issue has been resolved and if so by what means?

Thanks

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10435 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.