nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
expat

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT
532 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010
Wed 29-May-13 12:54 PM

I very much appreciated Darrell Youngs "Understanding Your Histogram"
I wonder about a follow up going a bit further using capture NX2 and on similar easy concise lines.

Having spent two years deciding (NO I am not opening old arguments my D700 overexposes and that's that) that my camera overexposes and is fine with b6 in use & ADL selected.
I now get histograms consistently in the box and not spiking up the right hand side.
BUT if I open the RAW file in NX2 and change the Picture Control to anything other than Neutral (I have neutral RAW as my default) then the histogram will invariably go to the right and often too far for the highlight recovery tool.
This is where I would like another Darrell type article, (I have the usual books on CNX2 but don't think what I am looking for is covered)

For example At what point can I set black/white points which will fix the histogram, can I do it as a first step?
If the RAW is correctly exposed on ingress does it matter what the histogram in NX2 says after steps are implemented?

Hope you can fathom out what I am trying to say.

Thanks for looking.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Histograms