nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10402
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need help sharpening large JPEG files" Previous topic | Next topic
GlenL Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2007Sat 18-May-13 06:53 PM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Need help sharpening large JPEG files"

CA

Hi everyone.

Have been using NX2 for years, almost exclusively to produce JPG files for my website. The jpg files I produce are for my website are 750 x 500 pixels in dimension, 300 kb in size. My workflow for this works very well for me. This is pretty much the only size of images I ever produce.

I've been asked to give a presentation to a local nature society who meet in an auditorium which has a movie theatre-sized screen (huge screen).

In the past when I've given presentations to other organizations they have been projected onto small (8 ft x 8 ft) screens, I just used my website jpgs (700 x 500 pixels). This upcoming presentation though I'm thinking I should be producing as large of jpeg files as I can to be projected on this movie theatre-sized screen.

Having trouble with the large jgps I've produced from my raw files (I always shoot raw). The large jpgs are 3000 x 4900 pixels do not look as sharp on my computer screen as my smaller jpgs I produce for the web. Its like the unsharp mask edit is not working for these large jgps.

I had a chance for 5 minutes before last months meeting of this nature society to test on the movie screen a few of my images large and small size and I thought the projected small images looked much sharper as well on the theatre screen.

I'd like to use large jpgs, but not if they aren't sharpened.

To produce the large jpgs to save work in NX2, I simply take the raw file I edited to produce my web image, and turn off the check mark for the Size / Resolution edit in my work flow for this saved raw file, then do a save to jpg file, giving me a large jpg file (with apparently no USM edit)

My workflow stack looks like this:

Camera Settings
Quick Fix
Photo Effects
D-Lighting
Size / Resolution (<-- I'm unchecking this then saving to give me a large file))
Unsharp Mask

The above edits I apply as a batch when producing my images for my website.

So how do I get USM to work when producing large jpg files? Any ideas what I need to do differently?

Thank you, Glen

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 19-May-13 08:44 PM
8918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Need help sharpening large JPEG files"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 19-May-13 08:59 PM by ericbowles

Atlanta, US

It's a little counterintuitive, but in many cases images using an LCD projector are actually fine if sized for the web. Many projectors are still using 1024 or 1280 pixels on the long side. That's pretty close to what you are using now, but you may need to make your images a little larger. Anything full sized or much larger will still need to be interpolated by the projector to a smaller size.

You should ask the theater what sized images and what dimensions work best.

If you are making the images larger, you may need more aggressive sharpening. A little larger radius and a higher intensity typically would be enough depending on the file size. What sharpening settings are you currently using for web images? For example, I might use intensity of 60 and radius of 4 for a full size image, but on a web sized image only use Intensity of 25 and radius of 2 or 3. It also depends a little on your picture control settings and how much sharpening is applied earlier in the workflow.

In terms of work flow, resizing and sharpening are normally a late step in the editing process since it is output specific. That way you can make changes as needed. Your workflow is setup in a similar manner so you should be able to simply adjust those last two steps and create the desired JPEG output.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10402 Previous topic | Next topic