Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10381
View in linear mode

Subject: "Moiré problem " Previous topic | Next topic
Kropotkin Registered since 02nd Dec 2012Wed 15-May-13 01:35 PM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Moiré problem "
Wed 15-May-13 01:39 PM by Kropotkin

Bicester, GB

I've taken some shots of a guy in a suit.

OK. So here it looks ok. On the camera LCD it looks terrible; both sides of the suit have a massive moiré effect. In Capture NX it looks fine though. Then I've put it into Photoshop Elements to do some final edits and the moiré effect is back. This is what it looks like in Photoshop when I've done Fit to Window. (This is a screen capture).

It took me a while to understand what is going on. Basically viewed at 100% and whatever size NX puts it in it is fine. The moiré effect occurs when I choose Fit To Window in Photoshop. So it is the result of scrunching it up. Same explanation for what is happening in the camera LCD.

But my concern is that the image has some kind of potential moiré effect. E.g. if you take this image which is attached and do Fit to Window in Elements you see the effect (only not so strongly as in the original).

What do people advise?

http://www.justinwylliephotography.com/googleplus
http://www.nelsonphotographic.co.uk

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Moiré problem
jrp Administrator
16th May 2013
Rob_ZN Gold Member
16th May 2013
cwils02 Gold Member
16th May 2013
toko
16th May 2013
ericbowles Moderator
17th May 2013
RRowlett Silver Member
30th May 2013
barrywesthead Silver Member
31st May 2013

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberThu 16-May-13 07:02 AM
34649 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Moiré problem "
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 16-May-13 07:03 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Perhaps you have a sharpening setting in-camera?

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Rob_ZN Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Dec 2012Thu 16-May-13 07:54 AM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Moiré problem "
In response to Reply # 0

Durban, ZA

If there was moire present in the image from the camera, would it not show up at 1:1 magnification?

From your description I understand the effect is being created when you're viewing at smaller magnification that 1:1, which makes sense to me. I'd say it's the "scrunching" which causes you to see it, but it may not actually be there in the original image.

If you downsample the image (save it smaller than original) so that it fits fully on your screen at 1:1 magnification, is the effect there as well?

Rob

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Thu 16-May-13 08:20 AM
804 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Moiré problem "
In response to Reply # 0

HIXSON, US

What is your camera/lens?

Charlie

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

toko Registered since 04th May 2009Thu 16-May-13 10:51 AM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Moiré problem "
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 16-May-13 10:52 AM by toko

Mölnlycke, SE

Moiré problem on screen is due to miss match of image resolution and screen resolution which causes the aliasing effect to appear.

And if moiré is not visible at 100% magnification there is not any moiré problem on the image anyway.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 17-May-13 01:20 AM
8710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Moiré problem "
In response to Reply # 4

Atlanta, US

That's exactly right. There is no moire in the image - it's created through resizing for display. We've seen the same thing come up with downsizing images - even a print that had no moire in the NEF.

The cause is a related to interpolation during resizing. You can resize and use a different interpolation routine. In Photoshop/Lightroom there are something like 6 different options - just experiment with the other choices.

In Capture try downsizing to an alternative size and quality. Reduce quality if needed.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

RRowlett Silver Member Charter MemberThu 30-May-13 03:59 AM
1090 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Moiré problem "
In response to Reply # 4

Hamilton, US

>Moiré problem on screen is due to miss match of image
>resolution and screen resolution which causes the aliasing
>effect to appear.
>
>And if moiré is not visible at 100% magnification there is not
>any moiré problem on the image anyway.
>
^^^^This. The moire is an artifact of the re-scaling to a size that is not a power of 2 of the 100% image. You will likely find that the moire is not apparent at 50% or 25% or 12.5% but will show up at 33% or 67% which are not 1/n scaling where n is a power of 2.

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Fri 31-May-13 12:41 AM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Moiré problem "
In response to Reply # 0

Kleinburg, CA

>
>What do people advise?
>

As has already been mentioned, the problem is not the image but rather a function of mismatch between image and screen resolution which you cannot match as there is no way of knowing the specs of the viewer's monitor or how much of their screen the image will occupy.

If the image is to be printed there will be no problem. If the image is to be posted to the web or displayed on a monitor you can take one or both of two actions.

1. Increase the size and hence resolution of the image. The more pixels in the image the less moire patterns will be visible.

2. Selectively blur the pinstripes.

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10381 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.