Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10375
View in linear mode

Subject: "Win8 Capture NX2 star ratings & permissions." Previous topic | Next topic
expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Mon 13-May-13 07:09 AM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Win8 Capture NX2 star ratings & permissions."

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Help please its driving me up the wall,
I do not use Star Ratings in Capture NX2 (2.4.2)but one single TIFF somehow grew three stars. I could not remove them in Capture NX2
In ViewNX2 I found out why but do not have the PC knowledge to get to the end of the road.
View NX2 said that the Star Rating status could not be changed unless you -

"Change your access privileges using the files info/properties dialog of your operating system"

I right clicked the image and selected properties then 'Edit to change permissions'
I found permissions was set on 'System'
I changed the selection to 'Users' and ticked all the boxes.
This allowed me to remove the Stars from that image.
Where do I go now to change this setting globally as presumably its going to happen to every image on my PC if Star Ratings are used?
Conversely have I got it all wrong and missed something?

Windows 8 64 bit
Capture NX2/ViewNX2 latest versions.

Thanks for any advice

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Win8 Capture NX2 star ratings & permissions.
fmrnykr Silver Member
14th May 2013
expat Silver Member
14th May 2013
fmrnykr Silver Member
15th May 2013
expat Silver Member
16th May 2013
fmrnykr Silver Member
17th May 2013

fmrnykr Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Mar 2010Tue 14-May-13 12:53 AM
161 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Win8 Capture NX2 star ratings & permissions."
In response to Reply # 0

Oakland, US

Expat,

I don't have Windows 8, but Windows 7, 64 bit.

If you go to the Capture folder in the programs folder and right click for properties.

Click the sharing tab and change permissions to everyone with full access.

Depending upon how your computer is set up, you may need admin rights to make the changes.

Hope this helps.

Bob White
San Francisco Bay Area

Due to the lack of trained trumpeters, the end of the world has been postponed.

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Tue 14-May-13 06:31 AM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Win8 Capture NX2 star ratings & permissions."
In response to Reply # 1

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Many thanks Bob.

fmrnykr Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Mar 2010Wed 15-May-13 12:31 AM
161 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Win8 Capture NX2 star ratings & permissions."
In response to Reply # 2

Oakland, US

Glad to help.

Hope it works for you.

Bob White
San Francisco Bay Area

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Thu 16-May-13 08:16 AM
#4. "RE: Win8 Capture NX2 star ratings & permissions."
In response to Reply # 3

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Fixed that one Bob but know realize problems are more extensive and probably since I changed to a Win 8 PC from Win 7.
Possibly not the correct place to discuss it if its a Windows problem but in case anyone can help.

I use only Capture NX2, Photo Mechanic & Win8 64 bit so which one is the problem I don't know but seems to be related to permissions which you pointed me at.

RAW file - NX2 ingested by PM, processed into TIFF / jpg after keywords etc added in PM at initial stage.
Problem - I cannot add further keywords or change an images title etc in any program (PM says error cannot change IPTC) after conversion has been made to TIFF or jpg.

In Windows 7 I could open a file in Windows photo viewer and change these properties there but now I cannot.
If I right click an image in Windows Photo Viewer the Security tag shows
under System there are five grey ticks
under Account Unknown- 5 grey ticks
under Administrators - 5 grey ticks
under Users - two grey ticks for Read & execute & Read, cannot add ticks to Full Control, Modify or Write.

If its not permissions maybe I had better ask advice at PM.

fmrnykr Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Mar 2010Fri 17-May-13 06:49 AM
#5. "RE: Win8 Capture NX2 star ratings & permissions."
In response to Reply # 4

Oakland, US

Expat,

I have not done this in a while, so someone more learned than myself may help correct anything I've missed or misstated.

Let's give it a try though.

Do you have admin privileges assign to you user account or are you a restricted user?

As a restricted user, you cannot access the permissions and it sounds like the applications are not shared; set to read only. The greyed out portions indicate you're restricted.

You can log on as the administrator and reset the permissions and giving everyone full control of the applications in question. I don't like running my user account with admin privileges, too much #### can get downloaded if you're not careful.

Hope this helps.

Give it a try and let me know.

Bob White
San Francisco Bay Area

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10375 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.