Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10350
View in linear mode

Subject: "Adobe forcing a move to the cloud" Previous topic | Next topic
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 08-May-13 03:09 AM
12818 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Adobe forcing a move to the cloud"

San Jose, US

If you are a user of CNX2, you have most likely heard over and over how you should move to Adobe products because Nikon was going to drop CNX2, blah, blah. blah. Well Adobe is in the process of stabbing loyal users who are not making their living using their products by forcing them to a cloud based subscription solution which is way more expensive than the old licensed boxed Photoshop product. Right now LR is not in that mode but the hand writing seems to be on the wall. Yet here we are with our Nikon CNX2 not being upgraded to a new super duper version but we are getting FREE updates every time a new Nikon Camera comes out along with bug fixes. If you take a peek at the Nikonians Adobe forum or better yet the actual Adobe site you will see many unhappy people who now realize that if they don't continue with a cloud subscription they will soon have a dead end product even if they have CS6 because Adobe plans to stop supporting it once the boxed versions are no longer available for sale. I have Photoshop CS6 extended but since I do not use ACR, my version is always going to work with my CNX2 shipping TIFFs to it.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Adobe forcing a move to the cloud
James23p Moderator
08th May 2013
mklass Platinum Member
08th May 2013
gzenitsky Silver Member
28th May 2013
nrothschild Silver Member
08th May 2013
Toby01 Silver Member
08th May 2013
glxman Silver Member
15th May 2013
robsb Platinum Member
17th May 2013
glxman Silver Member
17th May 2013
walkerr Administrator
17th May 2013
glxman Silver Member
17th May 2013
James23p Moderator
22nd May 2013
walkerr Administrator
22nd May 2013
mklass Platinum Member
22nd May 2013
walkerr Administrator
22nd May 2013
James23p Moderator
22nd May 2013
ericbowles Moderator
17th May 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
23rd May 2013
Robman3
17th Jun 2013
Countryboy Silver Member
18th Jun 2013
robsb Platinum Member
19th Jun 2013

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 08-May-13 04:23 AM
9629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Adobe forcing a move to the cloud"
In response to Reply # 0

Memphis, US

CNX2 seems like a great deal right now. I wonder if Google and Nik will jump on this and come up with their own version of editing software in a box form to fill the void and gobble up market share.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 08-May-13 11:49 AM
5962 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Adobe forcing a move to the cloud"
In response to Reply # 1

Tacoma, US

It seems more likely to me that Google will continue to move everything to a "cloud" type solution as well. That's their DNA. Nik is going to be whatever Google wants it to be.

I can understand not shopping boxed (literally) software. But a downloadable, self contained version for a one time fee is still best for me. Adobe is attempting to force their vision on thier custoemrs. It will be interesting to see where this leads.

I'm glad I still rely mostly on CNX and Photo Mechanic for photography. Unfortunately, I use Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Illustrator for web work. Might be time to look for alternatives there.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

gzenitsky Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Aug 2007Tue 28-May-13 02:50 AM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Adobe forcing a move to the cloud"
In response to Reply # 2

Lee's Summit, US

Just wanted to say that it's nice to hear someone else is using the PM/CNX2 combination!

Greg Zenitsky
Lee's Summit, Missouri

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Wed 08-May-13 01:27 PM
10915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Adobe forcing a move to the cloud"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Not too long ago Adobe tried to change their upgrade policy to effectively force annual upgrades by only offering upgrade pricing on immediate subsequent versions. That would be effectively a $300 annual subscription, assuming they came out with a new version each year.

There was an uproar and it didn't stick. Hopefully this won't stick either?

I can't justify Photoshop as it is, so maybe it is a moot point with me. I only need it for a few things and the cost per feature is already horrendous.

One of the reasons I use Capture is so I don't have another add-on $600 "hidden" cost every time I buy a new camera. L brackets, batteries and increasingly expensive grips are more than enough "mandatory" add-ons.

Lightroom is a better deal of course, in terms of keeping up with raw rendering, but it just doesn't fit my workflow well.

my Nikonians gallery.

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Wed 08-May-13 11:34 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Adobe forcing a move to the cloud"
In response to Reply # 0

El Sobrante, US

Hi, Bob.

I agree with your comments about 'the handwriting' probably being on the wall for LR. I have been in the process of learning LR since buying it about 3 months ago, but I think I may just stick with CNX2 now. I'm not willing to go with Adobe's subscription model and am concerned that my copy of LR might stop working after a future upgrade of my PC and OS. I couldn't afford to lose all of my LR edits, which would be the effect in that scenario. I also don't want to have to export everything to TIFFs to circumvent that possible problem, so I think Adobe has seen the last of me. Adobe's Creative Cloud subscription model may make sense for professionals who use the software a great deal, but for a hobbiest like me, the increased costs are not justifiable.

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Wed 15-May-13 02:42 AM
2980 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Adobe forcing a move to the cloud"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 15-May-13 02:44 AM by glxman

South Australia, AU

Hi Bob,
Since my laptop went to heaven, (may have gone somewhere else the way it was behaving ) Ive been having a look at the Beta 5 LR, very tempting!
As for CS6, which would be my first PS, I just crossed that off the list when I heard about subscription

I will stay with CNX2, which I got for free with my purchase of the D700, but I have been looking at a cataloging program as well
LR beta 5 looks way cool but Adobe has scared me away with the ever "threatening cloud"
As the new platform will be a 27" 32GB ram iMac, I was having a look at Aperture, not up to the pace of LR but tempting
So still "sitting on the fence" now, will retain CNX2 but keeping an open mind at the moment
Glad I backed-up on a couple of drives 2 days prior the the cataclysmic failure
Regards,
Gary

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 17-May-13 01:11 AM
12818 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Adobe forcing a move to the cloud"
In response to Reply # 5

San Jose, US

Gary sorry to hear about your lap top. You can buy a boxed copy of CS6 and can keep it forever. It works well in conjunction with CNX2. I don't know what Adobe willdo with LR, but I wouldn't bet that i will emain a stand alone package for long. While not a real catalogue PM seems to mke many people here happy. I don't use any catalogue SW, I jus tuse Wndows folders to keep my photos sorted.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Fri 17-May-13 08:04 AM
2980 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Adobe forcing a move to the cloud"
In response to Reply # 6

South Australia, AU

Hi Bob,
Had thought about CS6 but cannot justify the purchase right now
I guess the lack of future updates to additional cameras with CS6 could be a problem
Regards,
Gary

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Fri 17-May-13 01:18 PM
14595 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Adobe forcing a move to the cloud"
In response to Reply # 8
Fri 17-May-13 02:45 PM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

CS6 will have future camera updates and will be compatible with ACR 8 (ACR 7 is the current version). In fact, I'm already running CS6 with ACR 8.1 as I write this.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Fri 17-May-13 11:05 PM
#10. "RE: Adobe forcing a move to the cloud"
In response to Reply # 9

South Australia, AU

That is reassuring Rick,
Lets hope things work out OK
Regards,
Gary

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 22-May-13 03:40 AM
9629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Adobe forcing a move to the cloud"
In response to Reply # 9

Memphis, US

But how long will Adobe support CS6 for new cameras/software changes they have a habit of dropping support for older versions. So it will work for current models/OS's and maybe the next roung but what happens after that? I guess you could always covert to a Tiff file in NX2 and the import to CS6 prolonging the life of CS6.

I was about to make the jump to LR and CS6 but cloud subscription is not cost effective for me. But I can see where it is for working pros and larger organizations.

For now my CNX2 workflow is stable so I will stand pat until things shake out and maybe one of the other companies will provide a solid alternative to CS6 that is not cloud based.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Wed 22-May-13 03:59 AM
14595 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Adobe forcing a move to the cloud"
In response to Reply # 11
Wed 22-May-13 04:05 AM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

You can open D7100 files in CS2 if you convert them to DNG, so a path to use CS6 with new cameras can exist for a very long time. There's also the LR + Photoshop option as well. Quite honestly, you could also wonder about Nikon's long-term commitment to NX given their lack of development attention since 2007. It's hard to say with any of these programs. For me, I'm pleased with the LR and Photoshop combo and have used a cloud subscription for the last year. I plan to continue it, but it's clearly a personal choice. My time is worth something to me, and my workflow is much quicker and easier than it was when I used NX2. A few hours of saved time pays for a year's subscription, so it seems like a straightforward decision for me.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 22-May-13 04:23 AM
5962 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Adobe forcing a move to the cloud"
In response to Reply # 12

Tacoma, US

Rick:

While it is fair to say Nikon hasn't done a major revamp of NX2 in quite a while, they have not abandoned the product. They continue to update it to be compatible with new cameras and new camera features, and occasionally throw in something new. Speed and stability have improved, and, except for being familiar, the interface is still pretty fresh. It was ahead of it's time when released, and is not outdated yet.

But yes, for those who expect new, completely fresh software every year or two, I can see where they would be disappointed.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Wed 22-May-13 04:28 AM
#14. "RE: Adobe forcing a move to the cloud"
In response to Reply # 13

Colorado Springs, US

Mick, it all depends on your perspective. I thought NX needed a major revamp of its user interface and was underwhelmed with NX2, but I also recognize that it's a matter of personal preference,

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 22-May-13 05:46 AM
#15. "RE: Adobe forcing a move to the cloud"
In response to Reply # 12

Memphis, US

Never thought about Nikon not updating CNX2 to stay with the current DSLR's and OS's. The funny part is my CNX2 workflow is very fast for me but then again I am not much of a PP person.

I have been struggling with this for several months and had made up my mind to move to CS6 and LR but now the cloud is to exspensive for me vs buying CS6 thru the student discount so CNX2 is where I will stay for a while. Plus I have been thinking of moving to a iMac so Aperture is also an option a friend of mine uses it at his studio and it seems very good and very fast on his Mac.

As usual Rick all very good points and a lot to think on.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 17-May-13 02:46 AM
8684 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Adobe forcing a move to the cloud"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 17-May-13 10:26 AM by ericbowles

Atlanta, US

I generally agree with your perspective. I don't care for being forced into a subscription model. Being Capture centric in my workflow, it doesn't make much sense for the rare time I would use Photoshop. I bought a copy of CS6 last year on sale, and that should take care of my needs for a while.

I also agree that Ligthroom's move to the cloud is inevitable. While the releease of LR5 is forthcoming, it's hard to imagine future releases outside of the cloud. The lead time involved are such that the decisions on LR5 were made at least 3 years ago - before the cloud was as clearly defined.

Microsoft is already headed down a path of a cloud/subscription model. The next one to follow will likely be Google and Nik - which is a very interesting option as an alternative editor. I think longer term its hard to see something other than a subscription based model.

The key from where I sit is a commitment from Adobe on a strategy to deal with older images if you no longer have a paid and current Adobe product. I think they have to provide a free converter (even if its cloud based and requires registration) that can be used to take existing edited files and convert them to other formats. I can take a TIFF today and open it in Capture. I can open several different file formats in Photo Mechanic. But if I have a PSD or specialty format, I need to be able to convert it to something that can be used in other programs. The same goes for LR with its NEF+XMP format - I need to be able to render that file outside of LR or Photoshop.

It's funny - my main reason for using CS6 today is as my printer interface. I like the Adobe printer interface and use it exclusively. But I'm not willing to pay $250 per year for that tool.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberThu 23-May-13 02:19 AM
8145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Adobe forcing a move to the cloud"
In response to Reply # 7

Powder Springs, US

The only thing I really use PS for is restoration work. Fortunately I have not done that for awhile. So, where to go when PS has outlived it's useful life?

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Mon 17-Jun-13 03:49 AM
1781 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Adobe forcing a move to the cloud"
In response to Reply # 0

West of Santa Monica, US

Several weeks late to chime in but, I just bought Production Premium CS6 (last of the line) so I can work offline and have control of the exterior drives and content.

The folks at Adobe are aware of the license issues and blow back over PS and are "working' on it.

The person at Adobe who helped us buy it (1 MAC and 1PC) indicated there is a perpetual license on this version download.

The larger issue AFAICT were (are) the pirated hacked versions, and general consolidation to the cloud model

Not saying hacked versions are ever worth it, malware, viruses, etc. but Adobe took the steps and one is no longer able to simply download demo versions of any Adobe product as of late. At least as I've found.

Some push bullet points about the cloud here: http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-creative-cloud-myths.html

RM

Countryboy Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Tue 18-Jun-13 03:06 AM
4329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Adobe forcing a move to the cloud"
In response to Reply # 0

Jackson, US

Thanks for the info Bob. NX2 is working great with my newly purchased D800. Like you, I'll continue to use NX2 for image adjustments and use my CS3 for cropping and converting .tiff to .jpeg for Internet. Hopefully the D800 will put an end to tedious post processing. When I was forced into PS3, it was because I was unhappy with the image.
My goal is to be happy with my images with minimal pp.

Tom

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 19-Jun-13 02:24 AM
#20. "RE: Adobe forcing a move to the cloud"
In response to Reply # 19

San Jose, US

"My goal is to be happy with my images with minimal pp."

Tom that is my goal too. I usually can do an image in CNX2 in less than 5 minutes. I try to get it right in camera. Before I used CNX2 I was an advanced user of Photoshop but I was using the underlying stuff not the ACR tools. So for me stopping at CS6 extended is no big deal for me. I use Photoshop very little these days and find I have most everything I need in CNX2 to get the most out of my images.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10350 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.