Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10343
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX2 and D7100 NEF Files" Previous topic | Next topic
lindrelt Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Sep 2009Mon 06-May-13 02:17 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX2 and D7100 NEF Files"

Galveston, US

While Nikon has View NX2 updated to handle d7100 raw files poor Capture NX2 still gags on them. Seems best Nikon can offer is to work with them as JPGs in Capture... not!

--------------------------------------------------

Subject: Capture NX2 2.4.1 Not Reading D7100 NEF Files
Reply-To: "Nikon Inc. Technical Support" <support@nikontech.com>

Thank you for contacting Nikon Customer Support.

Please do not reply to this email, as we will not receive your response.

If you need to update your Question with additional information, please click the link below.

Thank you for using our services,

Nikon Customer Support
Click here to update your Question.

Subject
Capture NX2 2.4.1 Not Reading D7100 NEF Files

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (James W.) 05/04/2013 01:30 PM
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Nikon Customer Support, I'll be happy to assist you.

View NX 2 has been updated to open NEF files from the D7100, however to work with your photos in Capture NX 2, you will need to convert the images to JPG, as Capture NX 2 has not yet been updated to open NEF files from the D7100. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns, below I have attached a link with contact information:

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/238

Best Regards,

Jim

Nikon Technical Support

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 and D7100 NEF Files
Asgard Administrator
06th May 2013
lindrelt Silver Member
06th May 2013
walkerr Administrator
06th May 2013
lindrelt Silver Member
07th May 2013
mklass Platinum Member
07th May 2013
walkerr Administrator
07th May 2013
lindrelt Silver Member
09th May 2013
walkerr Administrator
09th May 2013
Reply message Capture V2.4.2 available now
nrothschild Silver Member
08th May 2013
Reply message RE: Capture V2.4.2 available now
mklass Platinum Member
08th May 2013

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Mon 06-May-13 04:13 PM
48505 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX2 and D7100 NEF Files"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Welcome to Nikonians, Jim

Capture NX 2.4.1 supports also the D7100 NEF Files.

Try it.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

lindrelt Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Sep 2009Mon 06-May-13 05:06 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX2 and D7100 NEF Files"
In response to Reply # 1

Galveston, US

>
>Capture NX 2.4.1 supports also the D7100 NEF Files.
>
>Try it.
>

Thanks for the welcome! As to D7100 NEFs and Capture NX2 2.4.1 on Mac:

But 2.4.1 does not open D7100 NEF files. That's why I posted the reply from Nikon Customer Support from two days ago. They say it doesn't work... hard to argue with the vendor.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Mon 06-May-13 05:14 PM
14176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX2 and D7100 NEF Files"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 06-May-13 05:19 PM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

I just did it a few minutes ago on a Mac. It works.

Any chance you used the old Nikon Transfer to download your NEFs? It's known to cause file corruption with newer cameras.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

lindrelt Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Sep 2009Tue 07-May-13 12:50 AM
#4. "RE: Capture NX2 and D7100 NEF Files"
In response to Reply # 3

Galveston, US

Thanks for the idea about Nikon Transfer 2... i have v 2.7.4 which was removed and reinstalled 4 times... just like v2.7.4 View NX2 and v2.4.1 Capture NX2. I kept trying to get this to work due to encouraging postings here and elsewhere. Something with these does not work on my OS X 10.8.3 iMac and D7100 NEF files.

Which leaves another problem... if this combo should work why does Nikon Technical Support close out my ticket and say the combo is known not to work and use JPG files in Capture until they fix it? Does Nikon lie to customers or are they just inept?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 07-May-13 12:14 PM
5581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Capture NX2 and D7100 NEF Files"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue 07-May-13 12:16 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

If you were using Transfer, did you mention that to Nikon Support?

I believe there are also incompatibilities between NEFs edited in VNX and those edited in CNX. Since I only use CNX, I do not know the details of this issue, but I have read posts here about it.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 07-May-13 12:34 PM
14176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Capture NX2 and D7100 NEF Files"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue 07-May-13 01:51 PM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

View NX2 2.7.4 and NX2 2 .4.1 are what I'm using on my Macs, which are are running OS X 10.8.3, just like yours. View NX2 now includes its own version of Nikon Transfer (2.7.4), but many people still have the original program (last version 1.5.2) on their systems and have inadvertently used it, causing problems. If you have that program on your system, you should delete it and never use it again. The issue with View NX2 and Capture NX2 that Mick mentions is that if you edit a NEF in Capture NX2 you can't make further edits in View NX2, but that shouldn't create the problem you're seeing.

Just as an experiment, try not using Nikon Transfer to download NEFs onto your system. Take a couple of random shots, and then drag them from the card to your desktop using finder. See if those NEFs now open - that'll help narrow down where the problem is.

As for Nikon's tech support, sometimes they know what they're talking about and sometimes they don't. Here's Nikon's own description of what's in NX2 2.4.1:

"Modifications enabled with Ver. 2.4.1

Modifications that apply to both the Windows and Macintosh versions

Support for RAW images captured with the D7100 has been added.

An Auto2 option has been added to New WB under White Balance in the Camera Settings portion of the Develop section in the Edit List palette. This option is available with RAW images taken with the D7000. However, colors will differ slightly from those achieved with the camera's White Balance set to AUTO2 Keep warm lighting colors.

The following issues have been resolved:

Issues resolved with both the Windows and Macintosh versions

When some color profiles were used as the monitor (or display) profile, colors were extremely blue.

When the Selection Control Point was dragged, an error was sometimes displayed and Capture NX 2 would quit unexpectedly.

Additional issues resolved with the Windows version

When some color profiles were used and the Soft Proof feature enabled, colors were sometimes strange or an error may have been displayed.

When attempting to print images with which this issue occurred, Capture NX 2 sometimes quit unexpectedly.

When editing images, a "The drive that the Temporary Folder is on is nearly full." error message was sometimes displayed.

When performing batch processing on a large number of images, blue lines sometimes appeared in images.

Additional issues resolved with the Macintosh version

When some color profiles were used and the Soft Proof feature enabled, colors were sometimes strange.

When a large number of color profiles were registered with the computer, Capture NX 2 was sometimes unable to open images."

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

lindrelt Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Sep 2009Thu 09-May-13 12:49 AM
#9. "RE: Capture NX2 and D7100 NEF Files"
In response to Reply # 6

Galveston, US

>
>Just as an experiment, try not using Nikon Transfer to
>download NEFs onto your system. Take a couple of random
>shots, and then drag them from the card to your desktop using
>finder. See if those NEFs now open - that'll help narrow down
>where the problem is.
>
>

Thanks Rick... I took a new D7100 shot, put the SD card in the iMac and used Finder to drag the file to the desktop. Opened it in Capture NX2 2.4.1 and same thing... big white blank image. The preview of the file in the left side in 'Folders' showed up fine. View 2.7.4 opens it fine.

I never had Transfer on this machine before v2.7.4 so there is no old version to pop up.

Just to waste more time with Nikon software i just removed all of it and put on View 2.7.5 and Capture 2.4.2 -- same result. Old D300s NEFs open up fine in all of them but D7100 file only works in View. Capture has a big white screen where the image should be and the right side has no histogram values.

Good news is Adobe LR 4.4 and PS 6 CS both work and open the D7100 NEFs just fine. My Nik Plugin collection all works so I still have control point tools when I want them. Guess I'm an Adobe guy now and can sit back and enjoy the Adobe Cloud griping and moaning....

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Thu 09-May-13 12:53 AM
#10. "RE: Capture NX2 and D7100 NEF Files"
In response to Reply # 9

Colorado Springs, US

Enjoy. That's what I primarily use as well.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Wed 08-May-13 09:44 AM
10834 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "Capture V2.4.2 available now"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I think 2.4.2 was just released yesterday (May 7)?

I was unable to open D7100 raw files on Win7 but now it is working with this release.

my Nikonians gallery.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 08-May-13 11:41 AM
5581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Capture V2.4.2 available now"
In response to Reply # 7

Tacoma, US

Works for me. Win7 as well.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10343 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.