Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10312
View in linear mode

Subject: "ViewNX2 does not automatically ope" Previous topic | Next topic
Paul4707 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Feb 2006Tue 30-Apr-13 08:21 PM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"ViewNX2 does not automatically ope"

Arlington, US

I cannot get the Transfer 2 function to open automatically when I connect my D800 (using a USB cable) to my PC. If I remove the CF or SD card and insert either into the PC's card slot, the program opens automatically. I changed the Autoplay settings via the Control Panel to reflect Transfer 2 when opening pictures, but to no avail. Any suggestions on how to remedy the problem? Thanks.

Paul Lebras

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: ViewNX2 does not automatically open
Asgard Administrator
30th Apr 2013
Paul4707 Silver Member
30th Apr 2013
Asgard Administrator
01st May 2013
Paul4707 Silver Member
01st May 2013
Asgard Administrator
01st May 2013
Paul4707 Silver Member
01st May 2013
ericbowles Moderator
02nd May 2013
Paul4707 Silver Member
04th May 2013
fmrnykr Silver Member
08th May 2013
Paul4707 Silver Member
08th May 2013
fmrnykr Silver Member
09th May 2013

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Tue 30-Apr-13 09:02 PM
50202 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: ViewNX2 does not automatically open"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Start ViewNX2, then open Transfer. Go to "Options" and click "Source"..

Both should be activated, cameras and memory cards.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

Paul4707 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Feb 2006Tue 30-Apr-13 09:23 PM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: ViewNX2 does not automatically open"
In response to Reply # 1

Arlington, US

Gerald,

Thank you for the suggestion. Both "camera" and "removable disks" are checked in the source drop-down menu. However, only the latter result in Transfer 2 opening automatically; when I connect the camera via a USB cable, I still have to open Transfer 2, then select the source.

Paul Lebras

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Wed 01-May-13 04:48 PM
50202 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: ViewNX2 does not automatically open"
In response to Reply # 2

East Frisia, DE

Do you use the newest Version ? I would reinstall ViewNX.

Eala Freya Fresena

Paul4707 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Feb 2006Wed 01-May-13 08:21 PM
#4. "RE: ViewNX2 does not automatically open"
In response to Reply # 3

Arlington, US

Gerold,

I uninstalled ViewNX2, and downloaded the newest version from the Nikon site. Unfortunately, Transfer 2 no longer works at all when I connect the D800 via USB. It shows the D800 icon, but then the program becomes non-responsive; I cannot get it to accept any commands, and have to go to the task manager to close it. When I insert the SD or CF card, Transfer 2 opens automatically and displays the images on the card. I'll contact Nikon, but my past experience with software problems does not leave me optimistic. Thanks for your help.

Paul Lebras

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Wed 01-May-13 08:35 PM
#5. "RE: ViewNX2 does not automatically open"
In response to Reply # 4

East Frisia, DE

Remove ViewNX and run this program from Nikon:

RegSweeper2.

Then install again.

Eala Freya Fresena

Paul4707 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Feb 2006Wed 01-May-13 10:44 PM
#6. "RE: ViewNX2 does not automatically open"
In response to Reply # 5

Arlington, US

Gerold,

I ran the RegSweep program, then reinstalled ViewNX2. I still have the same problem. Transfer 2 opens automatically when I insert a card; when I connect the camera, I cannot open images even though the D800 icon appears. The program becomes unresponsive and I have to close it with the Task Manager.

Paul Lebras

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 02-May-13 03:05 PM
8514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: ViewNX2 does not automatically open"
In response to Reply # 6

Atlanta, US

Depending on the speed of your camera and card, it can take some time to load and display all the thumbnails on a card. Are you giving it enough time to open? What is your hardware configuration? USB 2.0 or 3.0?

Try starting with a fresh card that just has a few images. That removes the speed issue.

Are you running into any issue when you manually launch Transfer from View NX2? Are you using the version of Transfer embedded in View or a separate download. And is it the latest version?

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Paul4707 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Feb 2006Sat 04-May-13 10:57 PM
#8. "RE: ViewNX2 does not automatically open"
In response to Reply # 7

Arlington, US

Eric,

I am using USB 2.0, and the card is not a fast one (45 mb/sec). I took your advice and reformatted the card and took a few images. Still no luck; when I connect the D800 to the PC, Transfer 2 does not open. However, the program at least now recognizes the camera and lets me download the images manually from this card. By comparison, when I connect the D800 with a full card, Transfer 2 neither opens automatically nor lets me download the images manually. If I insert the same card directly into my PC, Transfer 2 opens near-instantaneously.

Paul Lebras

fmrnykr Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Mar 2010Wed 08-May-13 05:14 AM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: ViewNX2 does not automatically open"
In response to Reply # 8

Oakland, US

Paul,

From the Nikon web site about transferring photos:

*Please note that the transfer function will not transfer images from serial connected cameras. Use of a memory card reader is recommended. This option allows images shot with much older Nikon digital cameras to be used with the latest Nikon software.

Bob White
San Francisco Bay Area

Due to the lack of trained trumpeters, the end of the world has been postponed.

Paul4707 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Feb 2006Wed 08-May-13 10:32 AM
#10. "RE: ViewNX2 does not automatically open"
In response to Reply # 9

Arlington, US

Bob,
Thank you for the information. My older cameras (D200, etc) worked with the old Transfer program when I connected them directly, so I thought the D800/Transfer 2 combination would also work. I can now give up tilting at windmills!

Paul Lebras

fmrnykr Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Mar 2010Thu 09-May-13 12:28 AM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: ViewNX2 does not automatically open"
In response to Reply # 10

Oakland, US

Paul,

Glad to help.

Bob White
San Francisco Bay Area

Due to the lack of trained trumpeters, the end of the world has been postponed.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10312 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.