nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #10308
View in linear mode

Subject: "NX2 and XP for D600 files?" Previous topic | Next topic
snegron Silver Member  Cape Coral, Florida, US  Nikonian since 05th May 2007 Fri 26-Apr-13 12:17 AM
1597 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NX2 and XP for D600 files?"

I'm in the process of getting either a D600 or a D7100 (haven't made up my mind yet).

I have an old computer running Windows XP (service pack 3) and CS2. I know I won't be able to use CS2 to open RAW D600 or D7100 files, so I will have to go with either CS6 or NX2. I prefer NX2 because it is less expensive. I'm hoping not to have to upgrade my computer for now, but I'm starting to think it is inevitable due to compatibility issues.

Will NX2 work with my current XP setup to open D600 or D7100 RAW files? While not terribly expensive, I would hate to buy NX2 only to find out that it won't run on my older computer.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography     Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 05th May 2002 Fri 26-Apr-13 12:39 AM
15269 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NX2 and XP for D600 files?"
In response to Reply # 0

Both are supposed to run on XP, but you may find performance of either program sluggish due to the larger file size depending on just how hold your computer is and how it's configured.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

snegron Silver Member  Cape Coral, Florida, US  Nikonian since 05th May 2007 Fri 26-Apr-13 12:40 AM
1597 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NX2 and XP for D600 files?"
In response to Reply # 1

>Both are supposed to run on XP, but you may find performance
>of either program sluggish due to the larger file size
>depending on just how hold your computer is and how it's
>configured.

Thanks Rick!

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography     Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 05th May 2002 Fri 26-Apr-13 12:52 AM
15269 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NX2 and XP for D600 files?"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 26-Apr-13 12:54 AM by walkerr

BTW, since free trials are available for both, I'd take advantage of them (ideally with some sample NEFs for either of those cameras) and see how the performance is. Both programs really benefit from 64-bit operating systems and more RAM when you're processing 24+MP NEFs.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

mpappa Silver Member  Doylestown, US  Nikonian since 12th Jan 2009 Thu 02-May-13 12:31 PM
311 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: NX2 and XP for D600 files?"
In response to Reply # 0

I have been running NX2 on my XP computer (2GB RAM) since NX2 was first released. A little slow, but it works fine.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Mike

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #10308 Previous topic | Next topic