nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #10272
View in linear mode

Subject: "Color Profile / Space" Previous topic | Next topic
BR   Glen Mills, US  Registered since 17th Nov 2006 Tue 16-Apr-13 01:55 AM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Color Profile / Space"
Wed 17-Apr-13 01:26 AM by BR

If I open a particular JPEG image in Capture NX2, it says on the bottom left of the image window that it is sRGB. If I look at it in View NX2, the Metadata says Adobe RGB for Color Space.

In Capture, I have sRGB as the default color space and leave unchecked the "Use this instead of embedded profile" option. In View, I have Nikon sRGB as the default profile and again the "Use this instead of…" option is unchecked. So in both cases it should not be changing an embedded profile that is defining the color space of the image, if there is one. So why does View think it's Adobe RGB?

Thanks.

Barry

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Color Profile / Space Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot
17th Apr 2013
Reply message RE: Color Profile / Space BR
18th Apr 2013
     Reply message RE: Color Profile / Space Puddlepyrate2013 Moderator
25th Apr 2013
Reply message RE: Color Profile / Space JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
26th Apr 2013
Reply message RE: Color Profile / Space walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
26th Apr 2013

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot   East Frisia, DE  Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004 Wed 17-Apr-13 06:07 PM
53256 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Color Profile / Space"
In response to Reply # 0

Strange, but would you pleas upload such an image with exif-date.

It may easier for us to help.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

BR   Glen Mills, US  Registered since 17th Nov 2006 Thu 18-Apr-13 01:20 AM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Color Profile / Space"
In response to Reply # 1

Okay, I've cropped a portion of the image to protect the innocent and reduced the file size for posting - it still shows what I have been asking about. I saved it in Capture NX2 where it had a sRGB profile and checked the Embed Profile box.

If I open it in Capture NX2, it shows it as sRGB.

If I use Get Info (on a Mac), it says sRGB color profile, RGB color space.

If I select it in View NX2, it says Adobe RGB for Color Space.

It's that last one that's puzzling. Now I should say that this image started out as an Adobe RGB NEF image but was converted to sRGB in Capture NX2.

Barry

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Puddlepyrate2013 Moderator  Portsmouth, US  Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2013 Thu 25-Apr-13 10:12 PM
215 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Color Profile / Space"
In response to Reply # 2

What is the cameras color setting set to? You can set the camera to capture using sRGB or adobe rgb. I have my Nikon's set to adobe rgb so I get more color gabut. And have both CNX and Photoshop set for Adobe rgb. If I need to make prints at a lab or for web use then I change to sRGB.

Bob

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   New York, US  Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004 Fri 26-Apr-13 12:36 AM
5380 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Color Profile / Space"
In response to Reply # 0

Photoshop is telling me that it is sRGB.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 05th May 2002 Fri 26-Apr-13 01:09 AM
15115 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Color Profile / Space"
In response to Reply # 4

Same with Photo Mechanic, but I seem the same error in View NX2 where it thinks it's Adobe RGB. Must be a bug in that program.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #10272 Previous topic | Next topic