Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10252
View in linear mode

Subject: "Is there any point to Capture NX2 if one has PS CS6 and..." Previous topic | Next topic
mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2004Sat 13-Apr-13 02:05 AM
1648 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Is there any point to Capture NX2 if one has PS CS6 and LR4?"

Winfield, US

I have Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 4 and was wondering if anyone is using the Adobe software and Nikon Capture NX2 in their work stream. I am thinking of buying Capture NX2 and was curious.

Thanks.,

Mark

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Is there any point to Capture NX2 if one has PS CS6...
mwhals Silver Member
13th Apr 2013
Covey22 Moderator
13th Apr 2013
mwhals Silver Member
13th Apr 2013
robsb Platinum Member
13th Apr 2013
ericbowles Moderator
14th Apr 2013
mwhals Silver Member
14th Apr 2013
walkerr Administrator
14th Apr 2013
mwhals Silver Member
15th Apr 2013
walkerr Administrator
15th Apr 2013
mwhals Silver Member
15th Apr 2013
robsb Platinum Member
15th Apr 2013

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2004Sat 13-Apr-13 03:14 AM
1648 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Is there any point to Capture NX2 if one has PS CS6 and LR4?"
In response to Reply # 0

Winfield, US

Nevermind, I am going to skip Capture NX2 after downloading the full Nik collection for $126.65. See the Nik Software forum for details.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSat 13-Apr-13 05:02 PM
10629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Is there any point to Capture NX2 if one has PS CS6 and LR4?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

In my opinion, CNX2 is still the better RAW converter. But I practice a minimum amount of changes on my photos, so I don't need the bells and whistles of CS or LR. I do keep LR for convenience, but only for manipulating large numbers of JPGs.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2004Sat 13-Apr-13 06:29 PM
#3. "RE: Is there any point to Capture NX2 if one has PS CS6 and LR4?"
In response to Reply # 2

Winfield, US

>In my opinion, CNX2 is still the better RAW converter. But I
>practice a minimum amount of changes on my photos, so I don't
>need the bells and whistles of CS or LR. I do keep LR for
>convenience, but only for manipulating large numbers of JPGs.

I may still get it, but I think it is an easier RAW converter rather than better. I think with the right skill, Photoshop/Lightroom can give a similar level of performance to CNX2. Even so, I may get it and try it for myself. It is relatively inexpensive considering Microsoft office, Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop CS6, etc. are more expensive.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 13-Apr-13 08:59 PM
12735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Is there any point to Capture NX2 if one has PS CS6 and LR4?"
In response to Reply # 3

San Jose, US

I don't have LR, as I never felt a need, but I do have CS6 Extended as part of the Production Suite. I have many years under my belt with Photoshop, and consider myself an expert user, but I still use CNX2 for all of my RAW processing. Why is that, for one I like the fact that I am saving to NEF rather than TIFF or JPG. I also find it quicker and easier to process a file in CNX2 than Photoshop as I am starting with a file that has all my camera settings applied, so I am starting with the as shot image. Yes a skilled Photoshop user can get you to the same result, but many Photoshop users are not skilled and Photoshop is not going to be as easy to learn as CNX2. Also despite the fact that CNX2 has not been upgraded to a CNX3, every new camera released by Nikon brings a new update to the SW for free. So why do I have Photoshop? I use Photoshop for the things CNX2 cannot do for me, like Pano's or composites. I now have all the NIK filters and other NIK products for Photoshop, thanks to Google giving me an update for free, But I think the NIK CEP 3.0 for CNX2 is better integrated than the Photoshop package. So can you do without CNX2 of you have LR and CS6? Of course you can, but I have no intention of abandoning a process that works for me, and that I know how to use to bring out the best of my images in only a few minutes time.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 14-Apr-13 01:30 PM
8592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Is there any point to Capture NX2 if one has PS CS6 and LR4?"
In response to Reply # 3

Atlanta, US

Like Bob, I have CS6 and Capture NX2. I would consider myself an expert NX2 user.

My workflow starts with the NEF file in Capture NX2. As Bob described, using the camera settings has a number of positives. It also provides the greatest latitude for highlight/shadow adjustments early in the workflow. If I need to upsize, I do so early in the workflow in Capture. And the ability to use all edits selectively with Nik type tools is a major positive in workflow. All NEF edits are reversible at any stage. At any point, you can generate a TIFF and continue the remainder of the editing in other tools of choice.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2004Sun 14-Apr-13 09:17 PM
#6. "RE: Is there any point to Capture NX2 if one has PS CS6 and LR4?"
In response to Reply # 0

Winfield, US

I decided to order it with the D800 next week. I wish Nikon had version 3.0 out, but that is OK if the current version gets it done. I did buy the full collection of Nik tools for $126.65 and installed it. When I get NX2, I guess I will reinstall Nik Tools so it finds NX2 and applies to plug-ins to it.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sun 14-Apr-13 11:23 PM
14547 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Is there any point to Capture NX2 if one has PS CS6 and LR4?"
In response to Reply # 6

Colorado Springs, US

>$126.65 and installed it. When I get NX2, I guess I will
>reinstall Nik Tools so it finds NX2 and applies to plug-ins to
>it.

The Nik tool suite doesn't integrate directly with NX2, so there's no need to do that. The installer won't identify NX2 as a valid host.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2004Mon 15-Apr-13 01:45 AM
#8. "RE: Is there any point to Capture NX2 if one has PS CS6 and LR4?"
In response to Reply # 7
Mon 15-Apr-13 02:04 AM by mwhals

Winfield, US

Thanks! I heard of Nik working with NX2 and after your comment I Googled it. I found they can be called up in NX2 due to the Lightroom way of accessing them. I found that in the below link:

http://www.luminescentphoto.com/blog/2010/10/10/using-nik-plug-ins-with-capture-nx-2/

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Mon 15-Apr-13 04:23 AM
14547 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Is there any point to Capture NX2 if one has PS CS6 and LR4?"
In response to Reply # 8

Colorado Springs, US

Different thing and a lot more limiting than running them from Photoshop.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2004Mon 15-Apr-13 04:43 AM
#10. "RE: Is there any point to Capture NX2 if one has PS CS6 and LR4?"
In response to Reply # 9

Winfield, US

I agree. I will use Photoshop for the Nik software.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 15-Apr-13 05:56 AM
12735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#11. "RE: Is there any point to Capture NX2 if one has PS CS6 and LR4?"
In response to Reply # 8

San Jose, US

Rick is correct, except if you happen to have CEP 3.0 for CNX2. It integrates directly into CNX2 and is seamless as it acts just like the filters already installed in CNX2. If you load the now Google NIK filter package. it will not install like CEP 3.0 for CNX2 as it does not see it as a valid host. You can call the new NIK flters like LR, but they act as a standalone tool and are not the same as having the fully integrated package for CNX2 as you have to work on TIFFs not NEF's. And as Rick says below running the filters that way is not the same as using them within Photoshop.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10252 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.