nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10211
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX with Windows 7?" Previous topic | Next topic
Castlk Registered since 06th Apr 2013Tue 09-Apr-13 04:44 AM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX with Windows 7?"

Farmingville, US

Hi,
I have the original version of Capture NX that I have loaded in my laptop with Windows Vista. About 6 months ago I purchased a new HP Desktop with Windows 7 and I want to load in there as well. Has anyone actually loaded NX, not NX2 into a Windows 7 computer? Will it work or will I be forced to buy NX2?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Tue 09-Apr-13 08:23 PM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX with Windows 7?"
In response to Reply # 0

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

I think it will work, cant try it at the moment I am presently transferring things over to a Win 8 desktop but on my old HP laptop I could not install Capture NX2 without having NX on there first, my NX2 is an upgrade version and I think this is standard procedure therefore I guess it should work.
I also had to instal my original NX1 on the new Win 8 PC before NX2 would load.
Both Product Keys were required to complete NX2 installation

Tried to open NX on the Win 8 PC and it opened and I was able to view a TIFF but it crashed when I tried a NEF.

So yes I have loaded it onto Win 7 previously so cant see why you couldn't at least instal it and see what happens.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Castlk Registered since 06th Apr 2013Tue 09-Apr-13 09:58 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX with Windows 7?"
In response to Reply # 1

Farmingville, US

I tried loading it and it comes up with a message that I need to install Microsoft.net framework version 1.1 in order to install it. I checked on microsoft's website and framework 1.1 is an old version from 2003 and is no longer being supported. I cancelled the install because I didn't want download framework 1.1 in case it didn't agree with windows 7 and mess up my computer. I'm guessing my Capture NX is useless and now I have to go out buy NX2, not cool. Nikon should do something for us guys with the original version so that we can still use it on computers with the newer operating systems.

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Tue 09-Apr-13 09:59 PM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX with Windows 7?"
In response to Reply # 1

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Tried NX on HP laptop Win7 64 bit worked well lightning fast on an old D50 NEF. Only a quick test as I use NX2 but everything seems happy.

'Note' You have to have NX installed if you want to install NX2 using an upgrade disk (as in my case). I believe this applies to all versions of Windows.
I have NX on Win7 laptop and on Win8 desktop (as of today)for that reason so I would think it will work OK if you have to have it anyway.

There is a small caveat, when installing NX1, Net Framework V1.1 is mandatory and the installer asks if you want to accept and download Net Framework V1.1 with compatibility issues, I accept and download proceeds, I have no idea if there are any ramifications to that, perhaps a windows expert can comment.

I opened NX in Win8 and it seemed OK using a TIFF, when I tried to open an NEF NX crashed, have not proceed further along that route in case I upset something but I did not notice a problem with NX when I ran Windows Upgrade assistant on any machine.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Castlk Registered since 06th Apr 2013Thu 11-Apr-13 12:06 AM
#4. "RE: Capture NX with Windows 7?"
In response to Reply # 3

Farmingville, US

Thanks for your reply. At this point I think I might call Nikon Tech Support and see if anyone over there has the answer for me, it's worth a shot. I'm not very good with computers and I don't want to download anything that's going to cause operating issues with my new computer. Hopefully they'll be able to answer my questions and hopefully get it to work for me.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10211 Previous topic | Next topic