Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10201
View in linear mode

Subject: "Clarity Preset for Capture NX2" Previous topic | Next topic
davefergy Registered since 07th Apr 2013Sun 07-Apr-13 01:39 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Clarity Preset for Capture NX2"

Carterton, NZ

Lightroom 4 has a useful Clarity slider for increasing mid-tone sharpening.

Has anyone had any success in replicating this functionality as a preset in Capture NX2 using a tool like High Pass sharpening? If so can you provide any guidance for settings?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Clarity Preset for Capture NX2
mklass Platinum Member
07th Apr 2013
davefergy
08th Apr 2013
Rmastran Silver Member
08th Apr 2013
mklass Platinum Member
09th Apr 2013
davefergy
09th Apr 2013
davefergy
09th Apr 2013
cpopescu Silver Member
11th May 2013
mklass Platinum Member
09th Apr 2013
Dadorian Gold Member
11th May 2013
mklass Platinum Member
11th May 2013
robsb Platinum Member
09th Apr 2013
Just Clickin Gold Member
11th Apr 2013
robsb Platinum Member
13th Apr 2013
davefergy
13th Apr 2013
delraypiper Silver Member
13th Apr 2013
ericbowles Moderator
14th Apr 2013
davefergy
15th Apr 2013
Just Clickin Gold Member
21st Apr 2013

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 07-Apr-13 02:58 PM
5860 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Clarity Preset for Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Set the radius for 12 (You need to vary this by camera model, try setting the radius to the MP of your camera. I use 12 for a D3s and D300s).

Set Opacity Limuinance and Chrominance and to Overlay.

Set Luminance Channel Opacity to 100.

Set Chrominance Chanel Opacity to 50.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

davefergy Registered since 07th Apr 2013Mon 08-Apr-13 09:00 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Clarity Preset for Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 1

Carterton, NZ

Yep that works... nice one.

I found that if I set the Radius up even higher (20) I could use the Opacity as a single adjustment slider. In some images I dial down the Radius, and in some I just use the "Clarity" Preset selectively using Control Points.

I also found a useful preset combo that mimics the Vibrancy slider too while I was searching.

Rmastran Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2011Mon 08-Apr-13 01:51 PM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Clarity Preset for Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 2

Carver, US

Can you post your preset combo that mimics the Vibrancy slider?

Thanks!

Ralph

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 09-Apr-13 03:53 AM
5860 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Clarity Preset for Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 3

Tacoma, US

One that I have seen and use for Vibrance is:

Select Color Booster from the Color Menu
Set the Level to 25%
Apply Luminance & Chrominance Opacity
Set Blending Mode to Darken
Set Liminance Channel Opacity to 0
Set Chrominance Opacity Channel to 50%

Mick
or

davefergy Registered since 07th Apr 2013Tue 09-Apr-13 08:30 AM
#6. "RE: Clarity Preset for Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 3

Carterton, NZ

>Can you post your preset combo that mimics the Vibrancy
>slider?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Ralph

Can't see how to attach the preset but the set up is outlined below .

davefergy Registered since 07th Apr 2013Tue 09-Apr-13 08:49 AM
#7. "RE: Clarity Preset for Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 6

Carterton, NZ

If you have a look at my Gallery I just posted an image I took earlier this year. An otherwise flat image has mainly been transformed by using the Vibrance and Clarity presets discussed here... plus a little extra sharpening and contrast curve.

cpopescu Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Apr 2011Sat 11-May-13 02:59 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Clarity Preset for Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 7

Paris, RO

Dave,

Could you please post the "before" picture. I like very much how it looks after PP, was wondering how it looked before.

Thank you,

Catalin

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 09-Apr-13 01:22 PM
#8. "RE: Clarity Preset for Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 6

Tacoma, US

Apply these setting to an image in CNX, then save the settings by clicking the the gears just above the Develop section of the edit list, then clicking Save Settings.

Mick
or

Dadorian Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2011Sat 11-May-13 11:48 AM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Clarity Preset for Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 1

Johannesburg, ZA

Just wanted to say thanks for this post and the one on vibrancy. Both made a huge difference to my shots and understanding
Ian

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 11-May-13 02:40 PM
#17. "RE: Clarity Preset for Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 16

Tacoma, US

Anytime.

Mick
or

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 09-Apr-13 01:18 AM
12585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Clarity Preset for Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

I use a multi step process in CNX2. First I set a Picture control with zero sharpening. After I do early adjustments like Noise reduction, lens correction, highlights and shadows and B&W points I then do a USM capture sharpening for my D700 using 40, 7 and 4. I then work on my image with selective tools. hen I am done I run the CEP30 filter Tonal Contrast which is really a 3 step Hi Pass filter for highlights, midrange and shadows. Finally If I think it needs it, I run a HIRADLOAM USM on the file and then adjust the result using the attached opacity filter often setting the blending mode to darken. I find I can run Intensity between 2-12, Radius anywhere from 80-100 and threshold around 28.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Just Clickin Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Jun 2009Thu 11-Apr-13 12:40 AM
116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Clarity Preset for Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 4

Pensacola, US

Reading this thread was worth the price of membership! I just wish I had bought CEP 3 before it was discontinued.

Tom Wilby

http://tomwilby.zenfolio.com/f409950484

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 13-Apr-13 07:14 AM
12585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: Clarity Preset for Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 9

San Jose, US

If you bought any of the NIK filters in the past you can download the whole suite for free and use it stand alone. If not you could do the same things with a bit of work using CNX2 alone. For example the Tonal contrast filter is just a hi pass filter that applies separate settings for the highlights, midtones and shadows. You can replicate it by using the Hi Pass filter 3 times selectively but it is much more work.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

davefergy Registered since 07th Apr 2013Sat 13-Apr-13 08:38 PM
#11. "RE: Clarity Preset for Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 10

Carterton, NZ

I tried out Nik Color Efex after one of the comments made above. I completely endorse what you are saying about the ease of making these sort of changes with CEP!

As it happens I have a trial version of CEP3 and I'd love to activate it. The integration with Capture NX2 is really strong and I'd much prefer to use CEP3 rather than 4. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get an activation key for a product that is no longer sold by Google... if anyone has any ideas on that I'd love to hear from them!

DAVE FERGY

delraypiper Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2013Sat 13-Apr-13 09:05 PM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Clarity Preset for Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 11

Delray Beach, US

Thanks all. this thread has been very enlightening. (no pun intended)

John

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 14-Apr-13 01:46 PM
8512 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Clarity Preset for Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 11

Atlanta, US

Contact Nik customer service. Ask them for help. If you own CE4 they may give you CE3.

Assuming you have CNX2 64 bit, you'll also want the last update to CE3 from Nik. Ask customer service for help.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

davefergy Registered since 07th Apr 2013Mon 15-Apr-13 08:25 AM
#14. "RE: Clarity Preset for Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 13

Carterton, NZ

I sent an email to Nik yesterday so we'll see what happens.

Just Clickin Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Jun 2009Sun 21-Apr-13 02:25 PM
116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Clarity Preset for Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 10

Pensacola, US

Thanks Bob for that bit of info. I am playing with the high pass and can see results, however a long way from perfection.

Tom Wilby

http://tomwilby.zenfolio.com/

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10201 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.