Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10198
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX 2" Previous topic | Next topic
hillsidekim Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Feb 2008Sat 06-Apr-13 09:20 PM
502 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX 2"
Sat 06-Apr-13 09:21 PM by hillsidekim

Hillside, US

I recently purchased a new laptop and now have 750 GB HD and 16 GB ram. Previously I had a 40 GB HD and 1 GB ram. I had Capture NX on the old one but was using PSE because NX was so slow. I am now thinking of upgrading to NX 2 and was wondering if I will run into the slowness issue again. I am presently using PSE 11. I see I can order CNX 2 upgrade from B&H or Adorama for $84.95. Will I be happy or disappointed with CNX 2?
Kim
Western burbs of Chicago

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX 2
jrp Administrator
06th Apr 2013
hillsidekim Silver Member
08th Apr 2013
jrp Administrator
10th Apr 2013
hillsidekim Silver Member
07th Apr 2013
Just Clickin Gold Member
10th Apr 2013

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 06-Apr-13 10:37 PM
34532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

I use CNX2 on my Win7 laptop most efficiently and very fast, with only 8GB RAM.
The trick is to use an external drive for cache.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

hillsidekim Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Feb 2008Mon 08-Apr-13 04:32 PM
502 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 1

Hillside, US

>The trick is to use an external drive for cache.
>
Would you be so kind as to tell me how to do this?

Kim
Western burbs of Chicago

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberWed 10-Apr-13 07:13 AM
34532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 10-Apr-13 11:18 PM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Kim,
An external drive can host the cache.
I currently use a 1 TB Iomega eGo USB 3.0 small and portable hard drive for this purpose, but there are many others (WD My Passport, Toshiba Canvio, etc.)
If your laptop takes USB 3.0 by all means get a drive for that. It is much faster the USB 2.0

Let's say the laptop denominates it drive E.
In your CN2 preferences you make that drive the cache recipient.
For example:

As you can see above, I created in that external drive a folder named 'CNX2' and a subfolder named 'Cache'.

What this does is leave the main disk drive in your laptop (C) free to do just the processing, and not the storage of intermediate steps and monster-size TIFF images.
This also reduces the fragmentation of your main disk data, which usually and eventually cripples its speed.

You don even need to create the subfolders if the only purpose is to use it as cache.
I use the drive also for critical files backup, before they go into my main PC, hence the need for specifically named folders.

In yet another external drive are my newest images and all changes and additions, later to go into one of the disk drives at my main PC, frequently, and into a full images backup disk.

I also use an external drive for cache on my main PC that, with 32GB RAM, is instantaeous for processing and post-processing images.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

hillsidekim Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Feb 2008Sun 07-Apr-13 12:46 AM
#2. "RE: Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 0

Hillside, US

I also have Win 7 64 bit on this (had the option of Win 7 or 8 and opted for 7). I'll keep that in mind.
Kim
Western burbs of Chicago

Just Clickin Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Jun 2009Wed 10-Apr-13 02:04 AM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 2

Pensacola, US

I recently updated to an Asus laptop with 16gb RAM and two SSD's. All my photos are on external HD's. My D800 files fly!!

Tom Wilby

http://tomwilby.zenfolio.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10198 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.