nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10156
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon ViewNX2 v2.7.4 64bit will not show thumbnails!" Previous topic | Next topic
richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sat 30-Mar-13 02:17 PM
3609 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon ViewNX2 v2.7.4 64bit will not show thumbnails!"

Dyserth, UK

I have just started using my D7100 and updated ViewNX2 64bit when the camera arrived. All was well to begin with and as this is the only software supporting NEF files also essential! It worked fine with both jpegs and NEF. Today I uploaded some NEF images and although the image can be seen ok in the main window, all thumbnails are just black as are jpegs. I've been through some old NEF's and jpegs from the D800 and old D700 and they don't show either. ViewNX2 will open the images into Capture NX2 fine.

I have removed and reloaded the program, but still no NEF or jpeg thumbnails. Interestingly, the thumbnails can be seen perfectly in Windows 7!

Anyone else seen this or can help please and I'd be most grateful.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon ViewNX2 v2.7.4 64bit will not show thumbnail...
richardd300 Silver Member
30th Mar 2013
golfercat Silver Member
30th Mar 2013
30th Mar 2013
golfercat Silver Member
30th Mar 2013
Checkmate Silver Member
10th Apr 2013
davidd1833 Silver Member
12th Apr 2013
Checkmate Silver Member
12th Apr 2013
12th Apr 2013
Checkmate Silver Member
12th Apr 2013
12th Apr 2013
Checkmate Silver Member
12th Apr 2013
16th Apr 2013
Checkmate Silver Member
16th Apr 2013
23rd Apr 2013

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sat 30-Mar-13 06:24 PM
3609 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon ViewNX2 v2.7.4 64bit will not show thumbnails!"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 30-Mar-13 06:26 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, UK

I thought I had sorted it out by rebooting the PC, the thumbnails appeared. After clicking on one of them the thumbnails went black again!

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

golfercat Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2012Sat 30-Mar-13 06:44 PM
236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon ViewNX2 v2.7.4 64bit will not show thumbnails!"
In response to Reply # 0

Menifee, US

Sorry to hear about your problem. I am running the same version with windows 7 and D700 NEF images and have no issues or problems with it. Since it works once, then dies. It sounds like a problem in your software to me. You might want to uninstall and reinstall again, making sure you are using the latest S/W for capture and view. I would also try re-importing the images. good luck

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sat 30-Mar-13 07:37 PM
#3. "RE: Nikon ViewNX2 v2.7.4 64bit will not show thumbnails!"
In response to Reply # 2

Dyserth, UK

Thanks. I have de-installed (again), rebooted and then re-downloaded. Mysteriously it's now working Goodness knows what caused that problem especially as I had done what I've just said once.

Oh well, computers eh!

Richard

golfercat Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2012Sat 30-Mar-13 07:44 PM
236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon ViewNX2 v2.7.4 64bit will not show thumbnails!"
In response to Reply # 3

Menifee, US

I am glad that it worked for you. My next sugguestion was going tobe that you download them from Nikon Support again as a corruption is always possible.

Checkmate Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Dec 2006Wed 10-Apr-13 07:58 PM
2188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon ViewNX2 v2.7.4 64bit will not show thumbnails!"
In response to Reply # 0

Leicester, UK

Richard,

I've had the exact same problem for a few weeks now, even through at least two version upgrades of ViewNX.

Sometimes when I run the program the thumbnails are black, but the image views are fine. Other times the thumbnails or okay. I think it must be something to do with other software I run prior to opening ViewNX.

I know that if I re-start my PC, and open ViewNX first, all will be well until the next time it happens!

I was beginning to think it was just me, and I hope someone finds an answer to this.

John | Leicestershire - UK | My Nikonians Gallery | My Website

"To express oneself in seventeen syllables is very diffic" - John Cooper Clarke

davidd1833 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006Fri 12-Apr-13 03:45 AM
445 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon ViewNX2 v2.7.4 64bit will not show thumbnails!"
In response to Reply # 5

Sydney, AU

Are you using a Raw Codec other than Nikon's?

I know that some other Codecs can cause all sorts of problems with graphics. If you have another type, uninstall it and install the Nikon 64 bit codec, (You can download it from the Nikon site).

David

My Gallery

Checkmate Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Dec 2006Fri 12-Apr-13 07:20 PM
2188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon ViewNX2 v2.7.4 64bit will not show thumbnails!"
In response to Reply # 6

Leicester, UK

>Are you using a Raw Codec other than Nikon's?
>
>I know that some other Codecs can cause all sorts of problems
>with graphics. If you have another type, uninstall it and
>install the Nikon 64 bit codec, (You can download it from the
>Nikon site).
>

David, thank you for the reply. I didn't have Nikons NEF Codec installed, but this is whet happened today. 'Thumbs' applies to thumbnails in ViewNX2 - I've never had problems with them in Windows Explorer...

Booted PC and thumbs are good.

Installed Nikon's NEF Codec and re-booted - thumbs still good.

Did some browsing with Chrome and left PC for a couple of hours.

Ran ViewNX2 and thumbs are BLACK!

Re-booted PC and thumbs are good again.

Do you know how to determine which RAW Codecs are installed, and which are actually being used?

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 12-Apr-13 07:35 PM
#8. "RE: Nikon ViewNX2 v2.7.4 64bit will not show thumbnails!"
In response to Reply # 7

Dyserth, UK

My problem exactly, not such a problem as it was with Lightroom4 now updated for the D7100, but in ViewNX2 all thumbnails are black from all cameras, jpeg, NEF, tif etc etc. As said reboot Windows and their back ok, then next time I open ViewNX2 and black. Spoken to Nikon and downloaded a registry cleaner off their website, removed the program, run the registry sweeper, reloaded ViewNX2 and all fine. Then, next time I open the program, all thumbnails black!

Fed up with it now

Richard

Checkmate Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Dec 2006Fri 12-Apr-13 08:33 PM
#9. "RE: Nikon ViewNX2 v2.7.4 64bit will not show thumbnails!"
In response to Reply # 8

Leicester, UK

My problem started around the time I did these things...

Installed trial version of Adobe Photoshop CS6.

Removed trial version of Adobe Photoshop CS6.

Updated Corel PaintShop Pro from X3 to X5 Ultimate.

Updated Graphics Drivers due to faulty Windows Update that stopped me using Aero Themes.

Probably a few other things too!

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 12-Apr-13 09:03 PM
#10. "RE: Nikon ViewNX2 v2.7.4 64bit will not show thumbnails!"
In response to Reply # 9

Dyserth, UK

<<My problem started around the time I did these things...

Installed trial version of Adobe Photoshop CS6.

Removed trial version of Adobe Photoshop CS6.>>

I hadn't linked those together, but I did the same. Whether it started happening then I can't say.

Richard

Checkmate Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Dec 2006Fri 12-Apr-13 10:38 PM
#11. "RE: Nikon ViewNX2 v2.7.4 64bit will not show thumbnails!"
In response to Reply # 10

Leicester, UK

Perhaps Adobe have left a little trap for us!

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 16-Apr-13 01:43 PM
#12. "RE: Nikon ViewNX2 v2.7.4 64bit will not show thumbnails!"
In response to Reply # 11

Dyserth, UK

Fingers crossed I may have rectified the problem. I've just downloaded the latest RAW codec from Nikon and it seems to have worked. Hopefully

http://nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/

Richard

Checkmate Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Dec 2006Tue 16-Apr-13 07:08 PM
#13. "RE: Nikon ViewNX2 v2.7.4 64bit will not show thumbnails!"
In response to Reply # 12

Leicester, UK

>Fingers crossed I may have rectified the problem. I've just
>downloaded the latest RAW codec from Nikon and it seems to
>have worked. Hopefully

I installed the codec last week and I had black thumbs at least once after that. I've not had the problem for a few days, but after seeing your message today I opened ViewNX2 and ... black thumbs! All I'd done prior to that was browse with Chrome and open a PDF with Adobe Acrobat Reader

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 23-Apr-13 08:31 AM
#14. "RE: Nikon ViewNX2 v2.7.4 64bit will not show thumbnails!"
In response to Reply # 13

Dyserth, UK

Been very busy, so not much processing going on. However, just download hundreds RAW images and ViewNX2 is doing it again. Black thumbnails, re-boot PC OK, later black thumbnails again.

Thank goodness we now have Lighroom4

Richard

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10156 Previous topic | Next topic