Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10125
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX2 color space question" Previous topic | Next topic
F2AS Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2005Sat 23-Mar-13 09:12 PM
488 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX2 color space question"

Washington, US

I just bought a Dell U2413 wide-gamut monitor and want to start editing my images in Adobe RGB color space now that I can actually see the colors. I usually have my camera set on sRGB in raw mode, and then in Capture NX I have the color management preference set to Adobe RGB as the default color space with the box checked to use this instead of the embedded profile.

While I want to maintain the NEFs in Adobe RGB, I need to save a copy as a jpg in sRGB to post the photo to my website. Do I need to do anything to convert the image to sRGB before saving the image as a jpg, or it already in that color space since I had it set on sRGB at the time of capture? Thanks so much for your help.

Mike

If you do what you love, you'll love what you're doing.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 color space question
walkerr Administrator
23rd Mar 2013
mklass Platinum Member
24th Mar 2013
walkerr Administrator
24th Mar 2013
Rmastran Silver Member
24th Mar 2013
BR
25th Mar 2013

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 23-Mar-13 09:43 PM
14718 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX2 color space question"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Since you're overriding the color space you set in the camera, you'll need to convert the image to sRGB prior to saving it as a jpeg, given that you want the jpeg in that color space.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 24-Mar-13 06:13 PM
6081 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX2 color space question"
In response to Reply # 1

Tacoma, US

Just curious: Why don't you shoot with your camera set to AdobeRGB?

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sun 24-Mar-13 06:30 PM
14718 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX2 color space question"
In response to Reply # 2

Colorado Springs, US

While I'm not the person who posted the original note, I'll throw out an idea. Some cameras, including the D800, show a greenish tinge on the LCD display if you set the camera to Adobe RGB rather than sRGB. It's similar to what you'd see in a non-color managed program, and I suspect it may be the reason why some complain about the displays on that camera. Give it a try - I was surprised at the difference when I first did it on a whim.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Rmastran Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2011Sun 24-Mar-13 07:31 PM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Capture NX2 color space question"
In response to Reply # 0

Carver, US

Since you have a wide gamut monitor, you might try setting the camera to Adobe RGB with 14-bit depth, and then save your JPG as sRGB. There'll be fewer conversions that way.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

BR Registered since 17th Nov 2006Mon 25-Mar-13 10:36 PM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Capture NX2 color space question"
In response to Reply # 0

Glen Mills, US

Good luck with your monitor. I've had a wide-gamut monitor for a couple of years and have found:

o Many real world scenes don't show significantly more colors using Adobe RGB compared to sRGB.

o When they do, those extra colors usually can't be printed.

I guess I don't regret using the monitor, it's just that it only seems to provide a subtle advantage.

Barry

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10125 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.