Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10097
View in linear mode

Subject: "Warning During Transfer -- VNx2 ?" Previous topic | Next topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sat 16-Mar-13 08:57 PM
657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Warning During Transfer -- VNx2 ?"

Los Angeles, US

What does it mean during a transfer from an SD Card when you get the message — You Do Not Have Access Privilege?

I didn't set any locking settings on the camera (D7000), and the sliding lock on the card itself isn't set to LOCK.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Warning During Transfer -- VNx2 ?
OldCodger
17th Mar 2013
Reply message Warning During Transfer -- VNx2 ?
Bravozulu Silver Member
17th Mar 2013
IAM Silver Member
17th Mar 2013
OldCodger
17th Mar 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
17th Mar 2013
OldCodger
17th Mar 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
17th Mar 2013
OldCodger
18th Mar 2013

OldCodger Registered since 15th Oct 2011Sun 17-Mar-13 11:46 AM
480 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Warning During Transfer -- VNx2 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Sawbridgeworth Hertfordshire, GB

You do not say what sort of machine you are using, but I assume that it is a PC, running one of the versions of Windows.
Usually that message means that you are trying to save files to a location that is not available for the user who is making the transfer. For example and rather simplified, if you have two users, Fred and Joe. Usually while Fred is working on the PC they cannot save data to Joe's folders and vice versa.
Normally saving to My Pictures for the account in question or some similar folder forming part of your folder tree will avoid such issues.
Access rule can get into a mess in various ways and you may need to use an administrator's account to sort things out.
[However, I would always urge you not to use an administrator's account for day to day work.Richard

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 17-Mar-13 03:14 PM
657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "Warning During Transfer -- VNx2 ?"
In response to Reply # 1

Los Angeles, US

I am using an older Macintosh. In the 10 months that I've owned a Nikon camera and been using ViewNX2, this is the first time the message popped up.

There are three drives on my Mac. And I am the sole user. Home use only. On the day I experienced this I did transfers from both the cards in my D7000.

The Slot 1 card went through without a hitch. Slot 2 card prompted the message only moments after the first card. It leads me to believe that there might be some protection setting on the card itself. ????????? duh.

IAM Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2008Sun 17-Mar-13 03:20 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Warning During Transfer -- VNx2 ?"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 17-Mar-13 03:21 PM by IAM

Luton, GB

I have had a similar problem with Mac OSX and external drives. I have never actually found out why this occurs but I do have a work around. In my case it was nothing to do with the camera, the card or NX2, but rather something to do with the mounting of the drives in OSX.

What I would normally do in encountering the issue is to open a finder window for the drive concerned (double click on the icon). Then from the Finder I would choose File and attempt to create a new folder. This would not be possible as the option to do that from the Finder File menu is greyed out. That was just to confirm the issue. The workaround is the to log-out of my account in the Mac and then log back in again. The drives would remount and this fixes the issue. Trying the diagnostic above would allow me to create a new folder as the option would now not be greyed out.

Hope this helps.

OldCodger Registered since 15th Oct 2011Sun 17-Mar-13 03:29 PM
480 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Warning During Transfer -- VNx2 ?"
In response to Reply # 2

As it is a Mac I withdraw my above comments as they will not apply. I tend to agree with you or wonder if the card is suffering a failure mode of some sort?
There is a write protect function on the card but that should only affect things if you are trying to delete images after transfer or trying to format the card. Formatting is best done in the camera.
The write protect is a tiny tab on the side, very easy to miss if you are looking,possibly easy to hit by accident?
Richard

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 17-Mar-13 04:27 PM
#5. "RE: Warning During Transfer -- VNx2 ?"
In response to Reply # 4

Los Angeles, US

Do you think it might be advisable to reformat the card in the camera and then try again?

OldCodger Registered since 15th Oct 2011Sun 17-Mar-13 04:34 PM
#6. "RE: Warning During Transfer -- VNx2 ?"
In response to Reply # 5

Not being a MAC person I wonder if the issue raised in #3 might be an issue first.
If the card is really not readable or needs to be reset, by all means format it in the camera, but do try to recover any images first.
Richard

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 17-Mar-13 10:50 PM
#7. "RE: Warning During Transfer -- VNx2 ?"
In response to Reply # 6
Sun 17-Mar-13 10:58 PM by Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US

I resolved the problem. But I don't understand how what led to it.

I formatted the card in the camera. I again tried to transfer the files using ViewNX2. I still got the Warning messages.

I then quit ViewNX2, and clicked on the icon for the SD card. I right-clicked the mouse to give me the Info dialogue box. On a Mac this includes capacity of the card or drive, number of files, last date of writing etc. There are three submenus, the last of which is Sharing. This menu said I had read only privileges. I guessed that 'read only' wouldn't interfere with a transfer to another disk. Nope, that didn't work. View NX2 still shut me out of the transfer.

I went back to the Info screen. In the Sharing sub-menu with a little check box for "Share Folder". I clicked it and everything is working fine.

But who knows how this card, purchased only 2 weeks ago, had sharing prevented? I didn't do anything but stick it in the camera.

Don't computers make your life simple? I'm going to have another beer. And a Cuban cigar.

Thanks for the responses.

OldCodger Registered since 15th Oct 2011Mon 18-Mar-13 06:22 AM
#8. "RE: Warning During Transfer -- VNx2 ?"
In response to Reply # 7

I have never had to share a device before being able to transfer data like that. However, it is usual for devices not to be shared until explicitly shared by the system user.
Glad that the issue is now resolved and that perhaps you have the answer to future problems.
Richard

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10097 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.