Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10067
View in linear mode

Subject: "Raw or JPG" Previous topic | Next topic
burchan Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Sun 03-Mar-13 11:19 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Raw or JPG"

Sydney, AU

Ever since the start of digital photography JPG files were easy to use,open in any program, easy to store and even allow limited post process with some loss in size. Raw files are different in a way that all are created different. Every manufacturer and every camera model has different raw file. It is always a strugle to find a program that will open raw file. Archive of row files is at risk if support is removed for old cameras raw files in future program updates. Even Nikon with every camera model creates new NEF file. Old capture NX2 will not open new NEX files and nikon will not provide you updates for NX2. You are forced to purchase new NX2 every time you purchase new camera even if no other improvements are made. I have NX2 2.2.8 but could not update to open D800 files. I am considering on giving up on NEF for long term storage and take most photos in JPG.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sun 03-Mar-13 11:55 PM
14452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Raw or JPG"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 04-Mar-13 12:12 AM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

>Ever since the start of digital photography JPG files were
>easy to use,open in any program, easy to store and even allow
>limited post process with some loss in size. Raw files are
>different in a way that all are created different. Every
>manufacturer and every camera model has different raw file. It
>is always a strugle to find a program that will open raw file.
>Archive of row files is at risk if support is removed for old
>cameras raw files in future program updates. Even Nikon with
>every camera model creates new NEF file. Old capture NX2 will
>not open new NEX files and nikon will not provide you updates
>for NX2. You are forced to purchase new NX2 every time you
>purchase new camera even if no other improvements are made. I
>have NX2 2.2.8 but could not update to open D800 files. I am
>considering on giving up on NEF for long term storage and take
>most photos in JPG.

Nikon hasn't charged for a single upgrade since NX2 came out in 2008, so I'm not sure where you're getting your info. The current version of NX2 is 2.4 and is a free update to what you have. It supports the D800, along with every other Nikon camera that has had a raw file capability. It's available via download at Nikon's website. Here's the Nikon Australia link:

http://nikonasia-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7709/theme/au

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

burchan Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Mon 04-Mar-13 04:50 AM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Raw or JPG"
In response to Reply # 1

Sydney, AU

Thank you for the link. I have now updated NX2. Without your help I would have never found the link. I was using help to upgrade but it was telling me upgrade not available so I gave up.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Mon 04-Mar-13 11:15 AM
14452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Raw or JPG"
In response to Reply # 2

Colorado Springs, US

I'm glad it helped.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10067 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.