nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
burchan

Sydney, AU
305 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
burchan Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012
Sun 03-Mar-13 11:19 PM

Ever since the start of digital photography JPG files were easy to use,open in any program, easy to store and even allow limited post process with some loss in size. Raw files are different in a way that all are created different. Every manufacturer and every camera model has different raw file. It is always a strugle to find a program that will open raw file. Archive of row files is at risk if support is removed for old cameras raw files in future program updates. Even Nikon with every camera model creates new NEF file. Old capture NX2 will not open new NEX files and nikon will not provide you updates for NX2. You are forced to purchase new NX2 every time you purchase new camera even if no other improvements are made. I have NX2 2.2.8 but could not update to open D800 files. I am considering on giving up on NEF for long term storage and take most photos in JPG.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G