nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10047
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nk2 software vs Aperture" Previous topic | Next topic
eliot3b4 Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2008Fri 22-Feb-13 02:37 PM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nk2 software vs Aperture"
Mon 25-Feb-13 11:51 PM by jrp

Eliot, US

I'm wondering what thoughts there are with using Nikon's imagining software vs Apple Aperture.

I own a D800 and just purchased the new Apple 2 inch Imac. I have been using Aperture, however, I a wondering if the Nikon software is a better application for the D800 processing

Thank you very much

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nk2 software vs apeture
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography
23rd Feb 2013
eliot3b4 Platinum Member
23rd Feb 2013
gobigdave Silver Member
04th Mar 2013
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography
04th Mar 2013
Toby01 Silver Member
14th Mar 2013
15th Mar 2013
Toby01 Silver Member
18th Mar 2013
30th Mar 2013
Toby01 Silver Member
31st Mar 2013
31st Mar 2013
Reply message RE: Nk2 software vs Aperture
gzenitsky Silver Member
18th Mar 2013
TiggerGTO Silver Member
30th Mar 2013
walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
30th Mar 2013

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sat 23-Feb-13 12:14 AM
5076 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nk2 software vs apeture"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

Im not sure that the D800 matters per se more than any other Nikon body. Generally speaking, I find Lightroom to be more robust and more powerful than either Aperture or Capture NX2. I have limited (and long ago) experience with Aperture; I was a Capture NX2 user for 4-5 year and loved it; two years ago I migrated to Lightroom 3, now use Lightroom 4, and would never go back. BTW, I shoot with a D800e and a D3s. Some thoughts:

• Aperture is generally easy to use. If you are happy with your results, then maybe there is no good reason to look elsewhere (though you do lack a catalog app).

• Capture NX2 provides excellent results. Its two big advantages: it reads all in-camera settings (the others only read white balance), though this is not as significant as it once was; and it has Control Points, a really cool technology for local image adjustment. But the software is a bit dated and it's not clear when — or if — Nikon will ever update it (exceptto accommodate new camera bodies).

• Lightroom 4 is a complete solution with sophisticated catalog (with excellent search/filter option), RAW processor, and output functions. I find I get the same or slightly better results processing images with Lightroom as opposed to CNX2; the Brush tool is an admirable substitute for Control Points; and batch processing works well (something that cannot be said for Capture NX2).

I suppose the question for you regarding Aperture comes down to two parts:
• Are you happy with your results and the tools you use?
• Is your image library manageable? The more you shoot, the more images in your library, the more value to having a catalog function.

And enjoy your D800!

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

eliot3b4 Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2008Sat 23-Feb-13 09:40 PM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nk2 software vs apeture"
In response to Reply # 1

Eliot, US

Thank you. Good food for the flight

gobigdave Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2006Mon 04-Mar-13 07:34 PM
82 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nk2 software vs apeture"
In response to Reply # 2

Scituate, US

I'm struggling with Aperture and its bad handling of D600 RAW files (too dark, no lens correction, no vignetting reduction, etc.). This makes me want to use ViewNX or CaptureNX to process the RAW files, but then I loose all the management and workflow features of Aperture. I wish I understood why Nikon does not make RAW processing available as an AP or LR plugin. I would be very willing to pay for that because it saves me a lot of post-processing time.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Mon 04-Mar-13 07:44 PM
5076 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nk2 software vs apeture"
In response to Reply # 3

New York, US

From my earlier post:

• Lightroom 4 is a complete solution with sophisticated catalog (with excellent search/filter option), RAW processor, and output functions. I find I get the same or slightly better results processing images with Lightroom as opposed to CNX2; the Brush tool is an admirable substitute for Control Points; and batch processing works well (something that cannot be said for Capture NX2).

Jon Kandel

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Thu 14-Mar-13 06:44 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nk2 software vs apeture"
In response to Reply # 4

El Sobrante, US

Hi. Jon.

I have been using CNX2 for years, but am trialing LR for the same reasons you note for your switch. I am using some Nikon presets I found on the web (from Adobe I think), but the results are not quite as good as I get using CNX2. What presets, if any, do you use on your files in LR? Thanks.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Fri 15-Mar-13 12:43 AM
#6. "RE: Nk2 software vs apeture"
In response to Reply # 5

New York, US

I don't try to nail the settings in camera. Non-clipped exposure is my only requirement; all else will be adjusted in the digital darkroom.

When starting to develop an image I frequently first drop down to Camera Calibration and run through the profiles just to set a starting point, but the real heavy lifting is the subsequent manual adjustment of the White Balance and Exposure sliders, with Contrast, Clarity, Vibrance, and Saturation to season to taste.

Once an image is ballpark adjusted, I sync that image with similar images and voilá!! — that group is done. Repeat until all images in the shoot are processed. And then individually tweak, globally and locally, whichever images you wish.

What I have found is that I can adjust White Balance and Exposure more precisely in Lightroom than in CNX2, I think because the controls are both more varied and more powerful.

Jon Kandel

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Mon 18-Mar-13 04:30 AM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nk2 software vs apeture"
In response to Reply # 6

El Sobrante, US

Thanks for your comments, Jon. I find it interesting that you don't work with any of the 'canned' presets, since so many of the tutorials I have read seem to imply that that is the best way to go. If I understand you correctly, you basically build something like a preset for a given shoot and apply it across the board for that shoot, and then make further adjustments on each image as necessary. Please correct me if I have this wrong.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sat 30-Mar-13 03:47 PM
#10. "RE: Nk2 software vs apeture"
In response to Reply # 8

New York, US

Sorry for the delayed response, but I've been on vacation with no internet access.

By "canned" presets, are you talking about the preset panel on the left side of the Develop module? Those are "finishing" effects after you have performed basic (or more) adjustments. While those presets are nice, when I want one of those effects I usually go to Nik filters.

Jon Kandel

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Sun 31-Mar-13 09:21 PM
#12. "RE: Nk2 software vs apeture"
In response to Reply # 10

El Sobrante, US

Hi, Jon. By 'canned presets', I meant the ones you can find from Adobe and many other places for use on import. They attempt to simulate what you would get with Nikon's software for the various picture controls.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sun 31-Mar-13 09:50 PM
#13. "RE: Nk2 software vs apeture"
In response to Reply # 12

New York, US

Those are the presets under Camera Calibration — Adobe Standard, Camera Neutral, Camera Standard, Camera Portrait, Camera Vivid, and any other presets available for download.

I run an image through a few of these — viewing the different presentations of contrast and color — and pick one as a starting point.

Jon Kandel

gzenitsky Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Aug 2007Mon 18-Mar-13 03:12 AM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nk2 software vs Aperture"
In response to Reply # 0

Lee's Summit, US

I'm very familiar with both LR4 and A3 but I use neither. For my workflow I have settled with Photo Mechanic for viewing and adding IPTC and Keyword data. PM does not provide as sophisticated searching or cataloging as LR4 or A3 but I can do quite a few keyword or IPTC field searches with Spotlight in OS X. I use OS X Finder to manage and organize folders.

I find CNX2 produces better raw conversion results than LR4 or A3. Yes, the software is outdated as many will tell you. I do most of my post-processing in CNX2 and when the image is deserving, I'll export to Color Efex Pro 4.

If I was a professional with clients waiting for output, I would probably resort to LR4 or Aperture 3 with Aperture being my preferred. However, I am an advanced amateur and the workflow I have developed allows me to easily post output to Flickr! or Facebook.

Greg Zenitsky
Lee's Summit, Missouri

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Sat 30-Mar-13 01:36 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nk2 software vs Aperture"
In response to Reply # 7

Apex, US

One more reason I continue to use NX2 plus PM is that I can keep my images as NEF files until I export them for a web album. No sidecars or multiple versions of files in different formats to manage is a huge benefit.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 30-Mar-13 04:24 PM
14876 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nk2 software vs Aperture"
In response to Reply # 9

Colorado Springs, US

A few things to keep in mind:

- Keeping the images as NEFs until you want to export them is a feature found in every raw converter I can think of. It's not unique to an NX2 plus PM workflow.

- The only situation where you don't need a secondary file type with NX2 as compared with others is if you use CEP3 for NX2, which is no longer offered for sale.

- You don't have to use sidecars with LR. I personally think this issue is incredibly over-exagerated. In a decade of using tools like ACR, I've never, ever, ever had a sidecar get lost or misplaced. Never. I back up my image files, so even if it happened, it would take me only a couple of minutes to recover whichever version of that sidecar I wanted.

- If you're trying to reduce multiple versions of files, you might find that LR offers more means of doing this than NX2. Both offer the ability to save snapshot versions of an image, but LR allows you not only avoid duplication of a NEF file, but also see thumbnails for the alternate version of the image (virtual copies).

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10047 Previous topic | Next topic