Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10028
View in linear mode

Subject: "Color space settings in Capture NX2" Previous topic | Next topic
wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Sun 17-Feb-13 06:49 PM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Color space settings in Capture NX2"
Sun 17-Feb-13 07:18 PM by wwt67

Warsaw, US

I have always captured photos in RAW format with the camera set to SRGB color space.

I am now thinking of buying a wide gamut monitor and working in Adobe RGB. If I want to reedit some older "SRGB" RAW photos in ARGB, can I simply set Capture NX2 color space as shown in the image below? Ignore the printer settings.

My understanding is a NEF image has all the colors already (12 or 14 bit) and the software (CNX2) settings control what color space you work in.

Another way to say it is if you capture the photo in RAW format then the color space settings in camera do not really matter. The software settings will control the color space.

Is this correct?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gpoole Platinum Member Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Sun 17-Feb-13 07:40 PM
3501 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Color space settings in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Farmington Hills, US

That's what I do. I almost always have my cameras set to RAW, and always to SRGB. I feel that gives my the "right" display on my LCD, but allows me to edit in the larger Adobe RGB color space.

You are correct that the color space setting in your camera does not affect the NEF data. It is only a processing tag the affects the rendering of the image.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D800e, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Sun 17-Feb-13 07:49 PM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Color space settings in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 1

Warsaw, US

Thanks, Gary.

It's nice to know I can go back and process some of my favorites in Adobe RGB.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10028 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.