Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10027
View in linear mode

Subject: "run Batch process on just images with a label. Capture ..." Previous topic | Next topic
Kropotkin Registered since 02nd Dec 2012Sun 17-Feb-13 04:54 PM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"run Batch process on just images with a label. Capture NX2"
Sun 17-Feb-13 05:20 PM by Kropotkin

Bicester, GB

Hi

This seems simple but I can't see how to do it. This is the situation:

I have a folder with say 100 images in it. I can view these in the NX2 browser. Some (say 50) of them have a label (say pink) attached to them.

I want to run a batch process which takes just these 50 (labelled ones) and converts the nef to a jpeg (maybe does some other stuff as well but that isn't the point) and puts them in a new folder.

I can't seem to do this. The batch process will just take all the images in a source folder. At the moment then I am having to run the process on all the images then go into the destination folder and manually delete the ones without labels. That is a pain. There must be a better way.

The point of all this is this. I'm trying to organise my workflow. I have my raw images in one folder. I've been through them, given the ones I like a label, and now I want to transfer those to another folder as jpegs where I will do any final Photoshop adjustments and then burn them to disk. Surely NX2 must support being able to run a batch process on images selected by label?

Thanks

--Justin Wyllie

http://www.justinwylliephotography.com/googleplus
http://www.nelsonphotographic.co.uk

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007Sun 17-Feb-13 08:31 PM
335 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: run Batch process on just images with a label. Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Ridgefield, US

Try this:

When you have the browser open in CNX2, there is a small tool bar to the right of the browser window. Click on the little triangle at the bottom right to expand the tool bar.

You'll see a Filter option towards the left of the now expanded tool bar. Click on the color or star rating that you only want to see.

Once you have only those showing, you can do a <ctrl> A to select them all. You can then run your batch process against these.

To clear the filter, click on the check mark.

Hope this helps.

Ralph in CT

Kropotkin Registered since 02nd Dec 2012Mon 18-Feb-13 07:47 PM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: run Batch process on just images with a label. Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 1

Bicester, GB

Hi Ralph

Thanks. The bit I'm not getting is "You can then run your batch process against these".

OK. I have my images filtered for the label and selected.

Then on the top menu I choose Batch.. run Batch Process.
The Batch dialogue opens.
I have the Batch Process tab open.
Then I have to choose a source folder from the file system and then a destination folder (optionally if I want save them in a different folder).
At this point (last step) there is no connection between the source and the filtered images in the image browser. I am just choosing a folder and it blindly processes all files in that folder....

Are you 100% sure you can do this? (If so I'm going to look pretty stupid ).

Thanks again

--Justin

http://www.justinwylliephotography.com/googleplus
http://www.nelsonphotographic.co.uk

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007Mon 18-Feb-13 11:56 PM
335 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: run Batch process on just images with a label. Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 2

Ridgefield, US

If you only want to safe the NEF as JPG, once you've got them selected go to File and Save As choosing the file format you desire.

If you want to apply other changes to the files, you could use this to save these to a new folder as NEFs and then run a batch process on the entire folder, e.g. converting Adobe RGB to sRGB, sharpening, and then save as JPG. You'd need to set up your changes in settings files and choose which ones to run as a batch.

There is a Watch Folder option that will run a batch on all files in that folder immediately. I've never used this, but I imagine you could set this up, save your files to the Watch Folder and then the batch setting of your choice would run automatically.

NX2 is not the speediest at batch processing. I use Photo Mechanic for conversion to JPGs via the 'save as' option on selected or filtered files. It uses the embedded JPG in the NEF file and it's very fast, provides sizing and conversion to sRGB, watermarking, etc.

Ralph in CT

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10027 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.