nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

So what do you love about the Nikon 1?

Covey22

US
11084 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: So what do you love about the Nikon 1?"

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter Member
Thu 09-Aug-12 06:46 PM

Nikon 1 is all about lighter kit. We're paying a premium to get near DSLR like performance in a smaller body. In the summer heat and crowded venues, it's a great alternative to carrying a D-class body and heavy zooms.

The 30-110 is one of those sleeper gems that no one believes until they've handled one themselves and see what kind of image quality it delivers. What a great zoom, and ED elements and VR in that tiny a package.

The missus doesn't care at all for using my DSLRs and when I hand her the J1 with the kit zoom, she actually nodded in approval. More importantly, it worked right out of the box for her and she could figure it out without asking me one question. While it has foibles in terms of operational use and interface, none of them are truly fatal for enthusiasts either.

The big sell feature is really the AF. Even long-time compact users don't believe me when I tell them "I got the shot" and all they have is a half-blurred or post-decisive moment frame. Then I hit the play button and they scratch their heads. Then I smile and show them how fast it really is in Continuous Frame. The next thing I know, it's getting passed around and it's Nikon Q&A time.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

A topic tagged as having a question So what do you love about the Nikon 1? [View all] , nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography , Thu 09-Aug-12 03:43 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: So what do you love about the Nikon 1?