Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28267
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Birding with D7100" Previous topic | Next topic
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 18-Jun-13 07:35 PM
8145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Birding with D7100"
In response to In response to 0

Atlanta, US

I always use AF-C for wildlife. You can get away with AF-S for perched subjects. I have some bad experience with AF-A and never use it.

Your shutter speed of 1/1000 or faster makes sense for moving subjects. I'd probably be shooting at f/6.3 or f/7.1 with your Nikon 70-300 or Sigma 150-500 since they have a variable aperture. With an f/4 lens I'd be shooting at f/4.5-5.6.

I use 51 points rather than 11 points. This is a recent change because the 11 point approach does not use enough cross sensors. The advantage to 11 point is the ability to scroll across the frame quickly.

For perched subjects I try to use single point AF. For a fishing or hunting subject, I try to use single point as well. For more active subjects I move to Dynamic 9 point. I use Dynamic 9 point for birds in flight.

With the D7100, I would use the center AF sensor as much as possible. It's the only one that works reliably above f/5.6, and you have variable aperture lenses that go beyond f/5.6. The center focus point is a cross sensor and is significantly faster and more accurate than other sensors. Here's a link to a thread about the AF of the D800 that includes links for the D7100 and D600 AF layout.
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=430&topic_id=25725&mesg_id=25725&page=

Back button focus makes sense. I try to prefocus on a portion of the subject in the focus plane - the base of the neck or the shoulder instead of the eye in some cases. The DOF can be extremely shallow so this may mean some misses, but it helps. Don't expect the camera to immediately pick up focus on a subject outside the frame. It is often batter the second or third frame. You need to keep your finger or thumb on the AF-On button during this movement to allow AF to "catch up".

Shoot a little looser to make sure you don't clip a wing or foot on a moving bird. This also gives you a little more DOF and room to crop.

Focsu tracking is better at A3 because it keeps the lock on normal. It still tracks the subject - just maintains AF if another bird or a stick enters the frame temporarily.

I want ISO set to give me a slightly faster shutter speed than I need. That's probably 1/1250 rather than 1/1000 or 1/800. If necessary, I use ISO to get there. I try to avoid going to a high ISO needlessly. ISO 1600 is fine, and ISO 3200 in a pinch, but I try to keep it lower. Your settings are fine. You could raise the minimum setting for auto ISO to 1/200 and not have any impact other than a faster shutter speed in great light.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicBirding with D7100 [View all] , Sixmileman , Mon 17-Jun-13 04:00 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Birding with D7100
dm1dave Administrator
18th Jun 2013
Sixmileman
18th Jun 2013
ericbowles Moderator
18th Jun 2013
Sixmileman
18th Jun 2013
ericbowles Moderator
18th Jun 2013
Sixmileman
19th Jun 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
21st Jun 2013
Sixmileman
21st Jun 2013

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #28267 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.