Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2759
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Important posting re: focus issues and hot pixels" Previous topic | Next topic
JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Sat 04-Dec-10 03:07 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Important posting re: focus issues and hot pixels"
In response to In response to 1

Toronto, CA

Exactly, he states:

"...have shot nearly 4000 images since purchasing the D7000 and i must admit its doesn't seem as easy to get a critically sharp image as with say the 12mp Nikon bodies, I think this is due to the size and amount of pixels on the sensor but after some playing around with settings i have found that by using a faster shutter speed than i would normally get away with sorts the image softness and in fact many people on forums saying that they are having focus problems can be easily cured by using a higher shutter speed and refining your technique "

I completely concur with this finding. You have to be more aware of the shutter speed with the d7k, at longer focal lengths especially, you are NOT going to get away with handholding shots at 1/shutter speed settings or even slightly faster (at shorter focal lengths you can with good technique). Use that high ISO capability and increase the shutter speed.

Most of the examples I see on the web alleging back focusing/ soft image issues either have no image examples or images with EXIF data that shows the photo was taken at shutter speeds that are borderline acceptable in the circumstances for Nikon's previous generation 12 MP sensor.

I am sure like every camera model on the market that the d7k has some duds out there, but by and large these are almost certainly rare.

The hot pixel issue is an interesting one. It is certainly not surprising to see hot pixels in HD video shot on a DSLR analog sensor at high ISOs. It is more problematic when they are appearing at low ISOs or in unacceptable quantities. Canon has been dealing with this for a few years now and has not completely fixed the problem. I will be interested to see if Nikon does. It is odd that if this is a problem inherent to the camera that some people have it and some people do not. This might be a product of the numerous variables that go into hot pixels forming.

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicImportant posting re: focus issues and hot pixels [View all] , richardd300 Silver Member, Sat 04-Dec-10 11:38 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Important posting re: focus issues and hot pixels
briantilley Moderator
04th Dec 2010
richardd300 Silver Member
04th Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
04th Dec 2010
JPJ Silver Member
04th Dec 2010
ggriswold
04th Dec 2010
PAStime Silver Member
05th Dec 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
05th Dec 2010
PAStime Silver Member
05th Dec 2010
Dreaux
05th Dec 2010
Reply message How does this issue effect flash
Ray S
05th Dec 2010
Reply message RE: How does this issue effect flash
elec164 Silver Member
05th Dec 2010

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2759 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.