I’m heading to Costa Rica in May on a 10 day photography trip and I would like to have a camera with a newer sensor than my D90 & D300. I’ve wanted to update my D90 with the D300 replacement but picked up a used D300 last summer so I would have a second body for this trip. The closer the trip gets the more I’m convincing myself I will need higher ISO than the D90 and D300 can offer for the outings into the rain forest.
Long term I plan to stay with DX for the reach so I ruled out a purchase of the D600 (D800 out of my reach) but I have been considering renting the D800 for this trip while I wait for the D400.
The announcement of the D7100 has me rethinking this strategy. It would cost $350-400 to rent the D800 for 14+ days. I’m concerned I won’t be able to fully benefit from the D800 with just a day or two to use it before the trip.
I think I’m talking myself into a D7100. It may or may not be the D300 replacement but it would provide me with the latest Nikon sensor in time for my trip. If the D400 appears later and it has the additional features I want I can sell the D7100 and purchase the D400.
Hypothetically if it arrives later this year I don’t think I would lose much more than the $350-400 it would have cost me to rent the D800 for 14+ days. It would also provide me with the buffer (no pun intended) to let other users test out the new camera.
Does this make sense or is my judgment clouded with NAS fever?