Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23493
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: SD card error" Previous topic | Next topic
agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Tue 29-Jan-13 07:43 PM
3970 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SD card error"
In response to In response to 0

Toronto, CA

>Saturday we went out to the Quabbin Reservoir here in MA in
>search of Bald Eagles. It was below 20 and very windy off the
>water. At least 3 times the camera wouldn't shoot and it read
>card err. I have 2 brand new scandisk 32g cards, I swapped
>their locatons and all was fine for awhile then another error,
> swapped them back and no issues.

Did you mean to say that it was a bit colder than 20F, or that it was -20F? Big difference there.

If it was -20F, chances are the camera was suffering cold symptoms. If it's working consistently fine now, there's probably nothing to worry about.

Card formatting errors creep in with cards that weren't formatted in the camera (e.g., in your PC or Mac instead). If the cards were both most recently formatted in the camera, they're unlikely to both have problems. Which still leaves you with cold, wind and relative humidity and or traces of condensation as the cause of problems.

There's also the matter of battery stability in the cold. If the battery was somewhat low during the problem, there's a good chance that it was contributing to a problem. If the battery was fully charged, it likely had nothing to do with the error.

When I plan to hit a trail or conservation area in subzero weather, I usually acclimatize my camera by leaving it in the trunk of the car, in the camera bag, to slowly cool down to something close to ambient outisde temperature before driving out to the target location. No sudden temperature changes, no condensation problems, no issues with card or lens contacts. When I return home, the camera goes into the bag and the bag goes into the trunk. I bring the camera bag into the house and wait an hour or so before taking out the camera, the hour usually being long enough for the camera and its internals to warm up slowly and prevent sudden condensation. I don't bother with any of that in temperatures hovering around the freezing point or warmer; just for subzero outdoor shooting.

I've found that in deep cold - around -20C/-4F down to around -40C/-40F everything except specially lubricated bodies that have been prepared for such conditions get progressively more sluggish until the shutters won't move, lens apertures lock up and LCD modules crack. In really deep cold that is driven even lower by high wind chill factors, polycarbonate materials exhibit some contraction which can badly damage external body cladding (especially on non-pro bodies). In deep cold too - that is, anything below about -30C/-22F - polycarbonate parts become quite brittle which means that opening one of the external doors to change a battery or an SD card must be a very gentle process to avoid snapping anything off.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicSD card error [View all] , msetter Silver Member, Mon 28-Jan-13 12:50 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SD card error
tekneektom Gold Member
28th Jan 2013
TiaanR Silver Member
29th Jan 2013
hro1957 Silver Member
29th Jan 2013
agitater Gold Member
29th Jan 2013

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23493 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.