Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23377
View in linear mode

Subject: "My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?" Previous topic | Next topic
DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Tue 22-Jan-13 04:16 PM
367 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?"


Geneva, US
          

There are other threads here that are relevant in part to this question, but everyone's dilemma is a little bit different. Here's mine:

My wife and I both shoot D90s. We are going to on a photography trip to Iceland in August (with Focus on Nature/Tony Sweet). Before then I want another DX body (FX is not an option now for a variety of reasons) so that my D90 can be a backup body for both of us. (I don't want to have our expensive once-in-a-lifetime trip spoiled by a camera failure.) The D7000 (or its successor) is my first choice for the sensor/feature upgrade over the D90 in a camera that retains the functional layout of the D90. I also want to get this new toy this spring, in plenty of time to learn it (and get any glitches repaired under warranty) before August.

With that background here are the choices I see:

1) Wait for and buy the D7100 (?) if it's announced and available between now and April. This would be a slam dunk if I had any confidence that the D7000 upgrade was in fact in the pipeline. However, I am beginning to doubt that Nikon will introduce a high-end DX body of any kind in early 2013 based on the complete lack of leaks and rumors so far. Also, if Nikon's next DX camera turns out to be the mythical D400 instead, then the likely added expense and the different layout and "feel" (compared to D90, which I like very much) will make that purchase a more difficult decision.

If it gets to be the end of March and no new DX body has appeared, here are the alternatives that I see:

2) Buy a new D7000 (~$900), get a full year warranty and plenty of time to adapt to it.

3) Buy a refurbished D7000 (currently $750 from Adorama) and get a 90-day warranty.

4) Find a used low-actuation D7000 being sold by a fellow Nikonian ($??) and forgo the warranty. (My wife's D90 was acquired this way and it has performed as if it were purchased new.)

5) Forget the upgrade and pick up a third inexpensive used D90 body to use as a backup (not really interested in this over #2, 3, or 4, but I include it because it is a formal option).

Then there's the whole issue of the continued availability of the D7000 this year, thanks to this post yesterday on Nikon Rumors:

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/01/21/nikon-d7000-listed-as-discontinued-in-australian-retailer.aspx/

So, Nikonian friends, do any of you (especially those who have been down this upgrade path already) have some sage counsel and advice for me?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

This is a hot, active topic!My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait? [View all] , DaveSoderlund Silver Member, Tue 22-Jan-13 04:16 PM
 
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
pimadude Silver Member
22nd Jan 2013
1
Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
22nd Jan 2013
2
Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
luckyphoto Silver Member
22nd Jan 2013
3
Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
NorthBay Silver Member
22nd Jan 2013
4
Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
22nd Jan 2013
5
Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
Gamecocks Silver Member
22nd Jan 2013
8
     Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
22nd Jan 2013
10
Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
clayolmstead Silver Member
31st Jan 2013
29
     Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
richardd300 Silver Member
31st Jan 2013
30
Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
NorthBay Silver Member
22nd Jan 2013
6
Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
mkbee1 Silver Member
22nd Jan 2013
7
     Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
22nd Jan 2013
9
Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
Cousin Silver Member
23rd Jan 2013
11
Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
23rd Jan 2013
13
Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
Joools
23rd Jan 2013
12
Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
chesterdawg Silver Member
23rd Jan 2013
14
Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
prreid Silver Member
23rd Jan 2013
15
Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
greenwing Gold Member
23rd Jan 2013
16
Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
chloeourdog
23rd Jan 2013
17
Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
25th Jan 2013
18
Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
agitater Gold Member
25th Jan 2013
19
Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
agitater Gold Member
26th Jan 2013
22
Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
jbloom Gold Member
25th Jan 2013
20
Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
cosmicfires Silver Member
26th Jan 2013
21
Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
28th Jan 2013
23
Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
jvaidya Silver Member
29th Jan 2013
24
     Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
jvaidya Silver Member
29th Jan 2013
25
     Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
29th Jan 2013
26
          Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
labtrout Silver Member
29th Jan 2013
27
          Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
richardd300 Silver Member
30th Jan 2013
28
          Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
jvaidya Silver Member
31st Jan 2013
31
Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
01st Feb 2013
32
Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
richardd300 Silver Member
01st Feb 2013
33
Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
clayolmstead Silver Member
01st Feb 2013
34
Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
labtrout Silver Member
02nd Feb 2013
35
     Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
02nd Feb 2013
36
          Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
labtrout Silver Member
02nd Feb 2013
37
               Reply message RE: My upgrade dilemma: buy D7000 or wait?
rnagel Silver Member
02nd Feb 2013
38

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23377 Previous topic | Next topic


Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.