Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23336
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Problem programming AE-L/AF-L button" Previous topic | Next topic
km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 19-Jan-13 08:28 AM
3299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Problem programming AE-L/AF-L button"
In response to In response to 5

St Petersburg, RU

AF-On is very useful for most subjects but using AF-C focusing mode eliminates the AF assist light from firing. Other than that, everything gets easier to control using the AE/AF-L button as AF-On.
I add one more step which is changing the function of Fn to AE-L. That way, I can control AF plus AE locking with thumb and middle finger without moving my index finger on the shutter release. AE-L is essential when recomposing to maintain the metering value initially read. It makes spot metering quite a bit more useful. This is even more important with FX due to the concentration of FPs in the center of the frame means more situations were you need to meter, focus and lock to recompose instead of relying on focus points that do not cover much of the frame.
I find the AE-L button(Fn)on the front of the camera more natural of a button location than on the back, needing more of a stretch for the thumb to activate it. It is central to the grip area so is just as easy to reach in horizontal as vertical orientation.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicProblem programming AE-L/AF-L button [View all] , Steve6344 Silver Member, Fri 18-Jan-13 06:43 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Problem programming AE-L/AF-L button
briantilley Moderator
18th Jan 2013
Gamecocks Silver Member
18th Jan 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
18th Jan 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
18th Jan 2013
Gamecocks Silver Member
18th Jan 2013
km6xz Moderator
19th Jan 2013
MasterDabber Silver Member
19th Jan 2013
km6xz Moderator
19th Jan 2013
MasterDabber Silver Member
19th Jan 2013

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23336 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.