Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23132
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Flash for my Camera" Previous topic | Next topic
km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 07-Jan-13 10:02 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Flash for my Camera"
In response to In response to 0
Mon 07-Jan-13 10:23 AM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

The SB400 is a decent little flash where you might need a little additional light than the built in flash can provide and it has the advantage that the head can move above the straight ahead position.
But it is not very flexible, powerful or smart.
To get the best from a flash it needs to be very flexible in adjustment range, direction and having built in metering. The current models include SB700 and SB910 which are both very smart, powerful and versatile.
One of the reasons to select Nikon is the first place is the excellent Creative Lighting System with wireless TTL flash compatibility. It is like having a studio in your camera bag.
Most beginners do not like flash because the are used to the whitish overexposed faces they see from point and shoot cameras. If they learn about flash and lighting in general they would come to see it as the most important single element in creative photography, far more important than lenses and cameras in determining whether an image is worth looking at, or hanging on a gallery wall.
If you decide to go further in the hobby, the best investment you could make would be investing time to learn how to use flash or augmented light well. It is not hard but few people put any effort into it, preferring to upgrade cameras prematurely thinking that will make better images.
If you are interested in portraiture, macro, events, family gatherings, fine art photography, even outdoor lifestyle shooting, augmented light using flash, reflectors, modifiers etc make the difference between snap shots and an exciting creative compelling image. There are tutorials on this site and many on the web. One I suggest to get to know what can be done with very inexpensive "dumb"(meaning fully manual with no interactive intelligence built in) flash is http://strobist.com You can learn more specifically about the Nikon system here on this site however. Look at fellow Nikonians blogger Russ MacDonald's flash tutorials at http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.ru/
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicFlash for my Camera [View all] , Artilleryman33 , Mon 07-Jan-13 03:42 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Flash for my Camera
km6xz Moderator
07th Jan 2013
rbaley680
08th Jan 2013
Melmoore Silver Member
07th Jan 2013
thormx538
09th Jan 2013
GCDawn
09th Jan 2013
Lissajous Silver Member
12th Jan 2013
pistnbroke
23rd Jan 2013
labtrout Silver Member
24th Jan 2013
Garen T Silver Member
23rd Jan 2013
pistnbroke
23rd Jan 2013
Ellis Feibush Silver Member
24th Jan 2013

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23132 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.