Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22532
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: noise, upgrade?" Previous topic | Next topic
km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 15-Dec-12 08:12 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: noise, upgrade?"
In response to In response to 19
Sat 15-Dec-12 08:16 AM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

Yes, two different uses of your flash. The help with focusing that requires mounting the flash, being in AF-S mode and the flash head in the direct forward angle Either put the flash into Commander mode or simply 1/2 press the shutter release to activate AF and the AF assist light, lock focus and turn off the flash to take your shot normally using ambient light. That of scourse works best in a Trap Focus mode where you focus to a spot and when the subject moves into the focal plane, the shutter releases. You press the release the whole time. Set the Focus priority to "Focus Priority" which is probably already set to that mode. The IR assist light will allow accurate AF in total darkness.

The use of bounced flash to augment ambient light is a very good way to get the noise handled, decrease ISO get better color but does involve the flash going off. Try some experiments. Go to a rehearsal and bounce flash a couple times without teling dancers that you will be doing it. Ask them afterwards if they noticed your presence, not referring to the flash but to your just being there. There is a good chance that they will not have even remembered the flash going off. I shoot in events a lot and if a flash is not direct, people tend to not even notice it. I'll show them a photo of themselves and they comment that they did not even know I was taking their photo. If I was to be so rude as to point a flash directly at their eyes from close range they would not be so happy with me, it IS very distracting. It also results in bad images.
I think if you can find a suitable bounce direction that adds a few stops of light, all your problems will be over.
Last night, bored, I dropped by a little bar and found they were big into Kareoke, which I hate, but stayed since everyone was friendly and having a great time on a Thursday night. I got out my camera from across the room and took a few shots. This one is of a biker who was actually a very good singer and a good conversationalist. It was ISO was 1000, f/2.8 1/100 and 200mm, hand held. Ambient light was very dim, and mixed source, mostly florecent beer signs. SB900, pointed up and directly to the rear at 45 degrees. Shot in JPG SOOC, and a 100% crop. Just to show that an indirect flash is not intrusive, he was very surprised that his photo was taken when I showed him after his song. There is a redish cast because the bounce ceiling and rear wall was painted a redish brown. You don't have much leeway in adjusting WB in JPG compared to raw NEF files.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

This is a hot, active topic!noise, upgrade? [View all] , GeorgCantor Silver Member, Mon 10-Dec-12 01:41 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: noise, upgrade?
km6xz Moderator
10th Dec 2012
GeorgCantor Silver Member
11th Dec 2012
PerroneFord Silver Member
11th Dec 2012
km6xz Moderator
11th Dec 2012
11th Dec 2012
11th Dec 2012
11th Dec 2012
11th Dec 2012
12th Dec 2012
12th Dec 2012
12th Dec 2012
km6xz Moderator
12th Dec 2012
12th Dec 2012
km6xz Moderator
12th Dec 2012
12th Dec 2012
13th Dec 2012
13th Dec 2012
km6xz Moderator
13th Dec 2012
14th Dec 2012
km6xz Moderator
15th Dec 2012
16th Dec 2012
kschultz_76
19th Dec 2012
23rd Dec 2012
27th Dec 2012
27th Dec 2012
27th Dec 2012
km6xz Moderator
28th Dec 2012
28th Dec 2012
km6xz Moderator
28th Dec 2012
28th Dec 2012
28th Dec 2012
briantilley Moderator
28th Dec 2012
rdudley Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
29th Dec 2012

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22532 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.