Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22532
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: noise, upgrade?" Previous topic | Next topic
GeorgCantor Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Dec 2012Wed 12-Dec-12 05:33 PM
118 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: noise, upgrade?"
In response to In response to 12

Potomac, US

Thank you both. A few clarifications:

1)I do shoot RAW, never said I didn't. Card 2, for backup, is JPEG.

2) So now I need to get all that red out in PP. I'll never make that mistake again.

3) Re; "expose to the scene" manually. How would you do that? I thought I was doing that with spot metering & manual ISO)

4) Re AF: I have been using ONLY the 35 mm f/1.8 in the theater. Even that seemed to hunt for focus in low light. (Unless, as noted below, I was confusing the freeze with buffer dump.) The reference to the 55-200 (set to 85) was for using it ONLY to check out the frame size that the 85 would give me, to decide whether to get that prime out a zoom. Stan appears to believe that the 85 would be OK.

5) About using flash for AF: I do have an SB 600. i think the problem won't be with the art director (it's a she) But the dancers don't like flash. They say it distracts them. Isn't the manual focus dot in the viewfinder accurate on the D7000? If it is not, this might account for an apparent lack of sharpness. (Unless that is apparent glare from oversaturation.) If it is, if find that the dancers operate mostly in the same foreground plane, and this is very little refocussing. A few weeks ago, at the prior performances, even the 35 mm f/1.8 was freezing, so i assumed it was a "no focus" lock. i have not had that since I started focusing manually. I was able to isolate that freeze that from freeze due to buffer dumping. (I also keep my bursts very short now, also I use a SanDisk 95 MB/s card.)

5a) Is there such a thing a oversaturation glare (halo?)

5b)However, I do not understand "so its much better patterned near IR AF assist light is engaged".

6) About noise (where all this started): unlike a few months ago, this time I tried to push the ISO down to just above the LO signal, ass the scene lighting varied (as I said), so there is much less underexposure. in fact, as I said, this time it looks like there is mostly overexposure. But i may be confusing that with saturation (as I said. As to noise from cropping, i suppose there will be a difference between the underexposed shots and the overexposed shots. That is to be seen.

7) Depth of field: looking at the recent proofs, I could see that the line of dancers at the back of the stage was out of focus (desirable), while the featured group was (relatively) in focus --although, as i say, the apparent lack of sharpness bothers me. Could that be an oversaturation halo?

8) Amateurs v. pros: I see exactly what Stan means. yes, most of the locals are obviously working hard, although the best of those around 18, who have been at it since age five or so, like my niece, are quite smooth. One remarkable element is the art director's sister. She is over sixty, and her body and performance look better than the 18-year olds. And relatively effortless. I don't know if she ever was a pro. (I'll ask.) But her face looks her age! it is strange. Her body looks 17. On the other hand, she often dances with the art director's husband. I think he is 60 around looks it. Wobbly. But still trying. In contrast to him (on physical condition: One of the boys (around 18-20, was warming up with (to me perfect front/back and side/side splits on the floor. & Kicks. I said: if that leg were any looser, it would fly off!)

9) Re Rockwell: I fully agree with what you said. I had learned some time ago to take what he says with several grains of salt about picture taking, as he frequently takes really inconsistent positions, some of which tries to explain away with (true) clarifications, and others, he just changed his mind. Especially a lot of his points are BAD for sports. BUT the saturation issue trapped me, exacerbated by the new D7000 WB option. As you say, I should (have) quit reading Rockwell on picture taking.

10) I do this for free. I think I can buy the 85G w/o much marital discord. (Balances the iPad I just gave my wife.) More might be an issue. I see a lot about that from the amateurs on DP review forums.

11) I really do appreciate all the time that you both are putting in to educate me! I think we have just about talked this out (if you have time to respond to the above.)

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

This is a hot, active topic!noise, upgrade? [View all] , GeorgCantor Silver Member, Mon 10-Dec-12 01:41 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: noise, upgrade?
km6xz Moderator
10th Dec 2012
GeorgCantor Silver Member
11th Dec 2012
PerroneFord Silver Member
11th Dec 2012
km6xz Moderator
11th Dec 2012
11th Dec 2012
11th Dec 2012
11th Dec 2012
11th Dec 2012
12th Dec 2012
12th Dec 2012
12th Dec 2012
km6xz Moderator
12th Dec 2012
12th Dec 2012
km6xz Moderator
12th Dec 2012
12th Dec 2012
13th Dec 2012
13th Dec 2012
km6xz Moderator
13th Dec 2012
14th Dec 2012
km6xz Moderator
15th Dec 2012
16th Dec 2012
kschultz_76
19th Dec 2012
23rd Dec 2012
27th Dec 2012
27th Dec 2012
27th Dec 2012
km6xz Moderator
28th Dec 2012
28th Dec 2012
km6xz Moderator
28th Dec 2012
28th Dec 2012
28th Dec 2012
briantilley Moderator
28th Dec 2012
rdudley Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
29th Dec 2012

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22532 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.