Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22293
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Remote Release" Previous topic | Next topic
km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 24-Nov-12 08:11 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Remote Release"
In response to In response to 0

St Petersburg, RU

Are you only wanting a remote release without camera setting controls? If so, there are many low cost RF links that serve the same purpose as the ML-3 but using RF instead of IR so works better in bright light and outdoors, for about 3-4 times the distance.
Here is one for $12
http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Wireless-Shutter-Release-Nikon/dp/B005LZX1W8

When I first got my D90 I took it apart and installed a home designed and made RF flash trigger that worked with CLS. As far as I could figure out it was the first one to be compatible with CLS TTL mode. I used some low cost RF modules that were tinier than I could make myself as the RF portion and designed the interface and modulator for the pulse position data transmission Nikon use for CLS TTL. Those same $5 modules could be used much easier for remote shutter triggering. My remote flash links work outdoors for about 50 meters reliable and 100 meters if the location is really optimum.

Another question comes up, if you are shooting sports with remote, you will likely need wide angle to be sure to capture the action with a fixed camera position. You would need to set it to MF mode and manually set the focus for the spot the action will be and not rely on AF which needs you to select a focus point. If you can get a camera on a tripod on the field, good luck but I would be surprised the venue would allow a free standing tripod too close to the field of action. What about a good telephoto lens instead, so you can get the nice compression effect, besides retaining control of the camera orientation and settings?
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicRemote Release [View all] , sportpicturescymru , Fri 23-Nov-12 08:01 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Remote Release
William Symonds
23rd Nov 2012
mfphoto1
24th Nov 2012
km6xz Moderator
24th Nov 2012
jdphotos
24th Nov 2012
     Reply message RE: Remote Release--off topic warning
km6xz Moderator
25th Nov 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
25th Nov 2012

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22293 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.