Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22221
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: D7K lens comparing and setting question." Previous topic | Next topic
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 19-Nov-12 11:06 PM
5583 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7K lens comparing and setting question."
In response to In response to 0

Tacoma, US

The sharpening setting in the picture control is a software setting that affects the output file, regardless of the lens used.

The sharpness of the lens, when testing, can be ascribed to so many factors, unless you really control for variables. But, given your quick test the results aren't surprising. Generally, super zooms lenses like the SIgma 18-200 are not as sharp as something with less range. Why the 24-120 wasn't as sharp is beyond me, but as it is an unfamiliar lens to you, that may have had something to do with it.

If you are going to do a quick test, I suggest that you use a tripod, are remote release or delayed shutter release and shoot at f/8 at a variety of focal lengths on each lens. That should not take too long and you may find that a good lens at 50mm is not as good as the others elsewhere.

For me, if I were going on a trip with just one lens, I would take a superzoom to have maximum flexibility. My preference for the D7000 would be the new Nikon 18-300 or the Tamron 18-270 VD PZD.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicD7K lens comparing and setting question. [View all] , Tucsonmr2 , Mon 19-Nov-12 10:36 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7K lens comparing and setting question.
tekneektom Gold Member
19th Nov 2012
mklass Platinum Member
19th Nov 2012
Tucsonmr2
19th Nov 2012
kuzzy Silver Member
20th Nov 2012
Tucsonmr2
20th Nov 2012
kuzzy Silver Member
20th Nov 2012
prreid Silver Member
20th Nov 2012
Tucsonmr2
20th Nov 2012
Tucsonmr2
20th Nov 2012
Tucsonmr2
22nd Nov 2012
Tucsonmr2
23rd Nov 2012
briantilley Moderator
23rd Nov 2012
km6xz Moderator
24th Nov 2012
Tucsonmr2
25th Nov 2012
Newondigital
29th Nov 2012
km6xz Moderator
29th Nov 2012
Newondigital
30th Nov 2012
fenris117
05th Dec 2012
Newondigital
16th Dec 2012
Tucsonmr2
16th Dec 2012

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22221 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.