Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21489
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: "CHIIMP"? Viewing the screen after taking the pictu..." Previous topic | Next topic
km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 13-Oct-12 07:00 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: "CHIIMP"? Viewing the screen after taking the picture- it's a good idea!"
In response to In response to 2

St Petersburg, RU

I have advocated the learning tool that the hi res rear display can be. Unfortunately few people really use it as a learning tool and just use it to see if their luck held on the last shot.
I've written a number of times about the advantage of pre-visualizing the expected results before hitting the release.That way, seeing result is very effective in determining whether your expectation was correct, if not why. After a while, when the difference between imagined results and actual results converge most of the time. the usefulness of chimping goes way down. In some situations, taking time and attention away from the task at hand works against the photographer who chimps, such as in a wedding, sports or other action activity where a level of consistency is expected before even getting the assignment.
When shooting an event I do not waste the time unless someone asks me to see their image just taken. It saves battery and saves missing actions that are not likely to recur. The battery life of two batteries in the grip and body of a D7000 is really good so that is not as much of a reason not to chimp. My D800 on the other hand is hard on batteries so 50% more shots can be taken on a battery if I do not chimp.
The learning curve for a camera and photography overall is really flattened and sped up by thinking about every shot and only pulling the trigger when there is a reason to. Spending more time thinking about shots before release, will make each session a useful learning experience. Most people, however, seem to take the shots first and then try to judge whether a shot, by luck, became a keeper. That latter method firms bad habits and slows down progress.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topic"CHIIMP"? Viewing the screen after taking the picture- ... [View all] , le gamin Silver Member, Sat 13-Oct-12 02:42 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: "CHIIMP"? Viewing the screen after taking the pictu...
gkaiseril Gold Member
13th Oct 2012
kentak Silver Member
13th Oct 2012
km6xz Moderator
13th Oct 2012
jamtins Silver Member
15th Oct 2012
mudman2 Silver Member
15th Oct 2012
MotoMannequin Moderator
16th Oct 2012
hotnikon1
02nd Jan 2013
gbowen Gold Member
19th Oct 2012
Vsteelrider
19th Oct 2012
jmiguez Silver Member
19th Oct 2012
Alexcorral
27th Dec 2012
prreid Silver Member
02nd Jan 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
03rd Jan 2013
four eighty sparky Silver Member
03rd Jan 2013
Snapshott Silver Member
07th Jan 2013

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21489 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.