Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21374
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Deciphering Rear LCD Info Display" Previous topic | Next topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 08-Oct-12 01:34 AM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Deciphering Rear LCD Info Display"
In response to In response to 4

Los Angeles, US

Ah, there were many moments when I would don the robe of D7000 High Priest and then answer a question on this forum. And usually would shoot myself in the foot.

Many of the odd, dark corners of this camera mechanism and the programming done by Nikon make understanding a treasure hunt. And more likely, a Snipe Hunt. It can seem futile at times.

Having been trained on commercial jets, especially the 747, I feel that much of the complexity is not needed. And I lay that on squarely on the shoulders of the Nikon engineers. Things aren't broken down into logical categories.

In my view, only the naming of these menus make sense:

Playback
Custom
My Menu

But the other menus don't honestly convey the contents:

Shooting
Setup

What qualifies settings for being in one rather than the other?

My original question stems from a boogeyman that haunts all complicated devices — how to present a mountain of information in a small, coherent dial or screen.

I get the impression that in some of the pro Nikon cameras, many functions are assigned to a button. Given that we own the D7000, a big improvement would have been if controls and menus were tied to workflow. As it is, I can't comprehend the logic of much of the menu structure.

The User's Manual has my respect in that, by page 18, it has you 'in the saddle and ready to ride'. You are shooting soon after. And that is the best way to master the controls.

As for the Menus? Go to the nearest church and pray.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicDeciphering Rear LCD Info Display [View all] , Bravozulu Silver Member, Sun 07-Oct-12 11:39 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Deciphering Rear LCD Info Display
RLDubbya Silver Member
07th Oct 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
08th Oct 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
08th Oct 2012
RLDubbya Silver Member
08th Oct 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
08th Oct 2012
RLDubbya Silver Member
08th Oct 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
08th Oct 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
08th Oct 2012
km6xz Moderator
08th Oct 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
08th Oct 2012

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #21374 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.