Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20883
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: User settings on the D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 10-Sep-12 02:48 AM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: User settings on the D7000"
In response to In response to 0

Los Angeles, US

Starting from 0 in April, it has taken 5 months to settle into settings that suit my photo needs and style. I posed the same question here in late spring, and if you do a search on the forum you'll find the long string of responses I got. Many from people far more knowledgeable than I.

Let me summarize what a few said. U1 for action (sports, romping kids, pets). U2 for indoor stuff. My take is quite different. U1 for social/family, U2 for product shots.

With neat categories like that, the first thing you'd set is JPEG or RAW to save files. Then AF type. AF-C for things in motion, AF-S for still subjects. Then set the Metering Mode you prefer. Along with that, your backup gun (you know, the revolver hidden in your sock) is MY Menu, where you pack shortcuts to all the stuff you need quickly. Mine is loaded with Built-In Flash settings, Battery Monitor, Artificial Horizon.

U1 and U2 each allow a differing arrangement for MY MENU. As time passed and I got weary of setting menus, I learned about the architecture of the D7000, and how it provides 'back doors' and 'short cuts'. A big one is the INFO button on the lower right side of the camera back. Hit the button once and you get an enlarged LCD display of the Control Panel on top, combined with things depicted in the Viewfinder. f-stop, Shutter, ISO, Focus Mode, Metering Mode and lots more.

But then......... hit the Info button a 2nd time and there are avenues that burrow deep into menus for setting the Fn button, Preview button, Picture Contol (vivid etc), AF selections, noise and distortion correction and a few more.

In short, I would suggest that you consider learning all the controls on the camera, before spending and inordinate amount of time stacking preferences into U1/U2 and Saved Settings. The latter is a 3rd collection of preferences governing how the camera reacts in the PASM modes.

I'm sure others will chime in on these subjects. But first take a look at previous postings on the same issue.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicUser settings on the D7000 [View all] , Joecosentino Gold Member, Mon 10-Sep-12 02:26 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: User settings on the D7000
Bravozulu Silver Member
10th Sep 2012
Joecosentino Gold Member
10th Sep 2012
jadiniz
11th Sep 2012
km6xz Moderator
11th Sep 2012
kw_starling Silver Member
15th Sep 2012
Joecosentino Gold Member
15th Sep 2012
DeanAZ Moderator
15th Sep 2012
Joecosentino Gold Member
16th Sep 2012
clayolmstead Silver Member
14th Jan 2013
14th Jan 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
14th Jan 2013
14th Jan 2013

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20883 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.