Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20686
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 Auto ISO and Speedlight" Previous topic | Next topic
ZeeKay Registered since 20th Mar 2010Wed 29-Aug-12 05:02 PM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Auto ISO and Speedlight"

New York City Area, US

Hi Nikonians,

I had an interesting experience while shooting with my D7000 with SB-600. I would love to get your thoughts on how this camera meters the scene with a speedlight for indoors and outdoors.

I was shooting at a BBQ recently and the setting was mixed. Guests were sitting in a tent with very little lighting (semi indoors) and kids were playing in the grass right next to the tent (complete outdoors) and it was a bright sunny day. So i had to constantly go in and out and adapt to shooting conditions instantly to not lose a shot.

I had my D7000 on Auto-ISO with a max of 3200 ISO, Aperture mode.

Situation #1 (Outdoor):
I took some shots of a kid running around in the grass with my flash on and the shots came out way over exposed. I had set the Aperture to be f/7.1 and camera metered shutter at 1/250 and ISO at 1000. Metering mode was "Pattern" for all my shots.

For this situation I think the camera did not take into account the flash and calculated the ISO unnecessarily high.

Situation #2 (Outdoor):
I then turned off the Auto-ISO and had it fixed at ISO 100. Flash was on and the Aperture was f/9.0 and the camera metered shutter at 1/80 and the shot came out properly exposed. Same setting.

I think that turning off Auto-ISO was necessary in this situation to get the correct exposure.

Situation #3 (Indoor):
Using Aperture priority with f/5.6 I had Auto-ISO on. Camera metered shutter at 1/60 and ISO at 800 with flash on. The shot came out way overexposed.

Again I feel that with the Auto-ISO on, camera did not take into account the contribution of flash to the exposure. The ISO should not have been that high.

Situation #4 (Indoor):
Turned off Auto-ISO. With aperture at f/5.6, camera metered shutter at 1/100 and with fixed at 100 and flash on. The picture was properly exposed.

Again I concluded that having Auto-ISO on was a mistake.

I would love to hear your opinions and experiences about this and perhaps get some advice on what I might have been doing wrong if I completely missed in using Auto-ISO properly.

Thanks
ZeeKay

ZeeKay
Nikonian in New Jersey

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A topic tagged as in need of helpD7000 Auto ISO and Speedlight [View all] , ZeeKay , Wed 29-Aug-12 05:02 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 Auto ISO and Speedlight
briantilley Moderator
29th Aug 2012
ZeeKay
29th Aug 2012
briantilley Moderator
29th Aug 2012
benmlee
30th Aug 2012
greenwing Gold Member
30th Aug 2012
ZeeKay
30th Aug 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
29th Aug 2012
km6xz Moderator
01st Sep 2012

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #20686 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.