Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #923
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Extended Warrenties on Cameras?" Previous topic | Next topic
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 10-Dec-09 05:49 AM
26710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Extended Warrenties on Cameras?"
In response to In response to 5

Richmond, US

> It sounds like we can clean the sensor ourselves?

Yes. Really, you need to learn how to do it. I know some folks always take it in to have it done, but I don't see doing that.

> Is this easy enough to do?

It really isn't very hard. Especially not the rocket blower:

1) set exposure mode to manual, then set shutter speed to BULB.
2) remove lens
3) turn camera so that the lens mount is facing down
4) press shutter release and hold; this opens the shutter and keeps it open
5) with the nozzle of the blower outside of the camera, blow several blasts of air up at the sensor
6) let go of shutter release
7) remount lens
8) return exposure mode and shutter speed.
9) delete resulting "picture"

And I probably made it sound a lot harder than it is. Seriously, this is a 20-second operation or less.

If you have to do a wet clean, I recommend the stuff from Copper Hill Imaging. It comes with good directions. As I noted above, I haven't had to do a wet clean in almost two years, or about 30,000 frames, and I would think that I'm a bit more at risk than most other folks.

> I store it with this lens attached as well. Is this ok to do?

That's what I do. I've always just plopped the camera with a lens into a camera bag, and they've always been fine with that. So far my Nikons have made it as long as 26 years without issues... If you're not going to use it for a while (a month) take the battery out. Obviously store them away from excessive humidity and heat. I sometimes store the camera with no lens, but I put a body cap on immediately. The cameras are a bit easier to put in smaller spaces that way.

Just use common sense. The cameras are a LOT more rugged than most people give them credit.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicExtended Warrenties on Cameras? [View all] , mcastfalk , Tue 01-Dec-09 03:47 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Extended Warrenties on Cameras?
MEMcD Moderator
01st Dec 2009
mcastfalk
01st Dec 2009
bryant1976
06th Dec 2009
blw Moderator
09th Dec 2009
mcastfalk
09th Dec 2009
blw Moderator
10th Dec 2009

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #923 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.