Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #923
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Extended Warrenties on Cameras?" Previous topic | Next topic
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 09-Dec-09 12:56 AM
26539 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Extended Warrenties on Cameras?"
In response to In response to 0

Richmond, US

> Does Nikon recommend (or from your experience is it good) to have routine, yearly cleanings of the camera body?

The correct period for cleaning the sensor is "whenever it's dusty enough to cause problems with the image." And that can be far less than a year (I've had to do it three times in a day at least once) or it could be longer than a year. It depends on your photographic style (smaller apertures make dust more visible than large ones), your practices (do you change lenses a lot?), and your environment (changing lenses in your office is probably much less problematic than doing so in the desert). And there is more than one type of cleaning the sensor: the least intrusive (and least expensive) is a simple rocket blower that blows dust out. A rocket blower looks a lot like a turkey baster. For more stubborn dirt, you may need to do a "wet clean" - which involves sterile things that look like Q-tips with special thread-less materials and special cleaning fluid. Again, this might range from an activity you might have to do twice in a vacation or once every other year. (I haven't done a wet clean since early 2008, although I shoot two cameras, change lenses a lot in the field, and generally do a lot more photography by volume than most people.)

If you really mean cleaning the body, you don't want to do that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Nikon have no preventative maintainance schedule.

I would not (and do not) take extended warranties on basically anything except a car. So far I have eight Nikon cameras and only one of them have required a repair that would have been covered by an extended warranty. I am not especially prone to accidents, though. If you are, that might be a good reason for the extended warranty.

Here's another way of looking at this. It will take a class C (ie fairly major) repair to cost more than the $179 price of the extended warranty. Accidents aside, the chances aren't good that you'll have a class C repair in the four years after your Nikon warranty expires. It could certainly happen, but the chances aren't high. Whether or not you have a failure, you're paying for a class B repair up front. Moreover, what do you think of the chances of your upgrading the camera and/or lens within five years? The warranty doesn't transfer.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicExtended Warrenties on Cameras? [View all] , mcastfalk , Tue 01-Dec-09 03:47 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Extended Warrenties on Cameras?
MEMcD Moderator
01st Dec 2009
mcastfalk
01st Dec 2009
bryant1976
06th Dec 2009
blw Moderator
09th Dec 2009
mcastfalk
09th Dec 2009
blw Moderator
10th Dec 2009

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #923 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.