Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #923
View in linear mode

Subject: "Extended Warrenties on Cameras?" Previous topic | Next topic
mcastfalk Registered since 01st Dec 2009Tue 01-Dec-09 03:47 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Extended Warrenties on Cameras?"

US

I have a couple questions on extended warrenties for cameras.

I just purchased a Nikon D5000, the kit with the extra VR lens. Best Buy was offering me an extended warrenty for 4 years at $179 on the camera and the lens it came with. It includes cleaning and maintenance each year for the camera (so I can take the camera and have it cleaned 4 times). It also will replace the camera or lens if it breaks, even from an accident or spill not just defects. (I'll never forget hiking part of the Appalachian Trail in Shenandoah NP and dropping my Pentax point & shoot film camera. Shattered the lens and needed to replace the camera.)

Since we have small children and this was a big purchase, I'm leaning towards purchasing the warrenty.

My questions are:

A. Does Nikon recommend (or from your experience is it good) to have routine, yearly cleanings of the camera body? How much do these typically cost on their own?

B. Has anyone had issues with the extended warrenties offered by sellers, particularly Best Buy?

C. I'm open to opinions on this, so please feel free to answer. Any feedback is appreciated. I'm usually not one for these warrenties, but I don't want to replace a $700 camera out of pocket either.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicExtended Warrenties on Cameras? [View all] , mcastfalk , Tue 01-Dec-09 03:47 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Extended Warrenties on Cameras?
MEMcD Moderator
01st Dec 2009
mcastfalk
01st Dec 2009
bryant1976
06th Dec 2009
blw Moderator
09th Dec 2009
mcastfalk
09th Dec 2009
blw Moderator
10th Dec 2009

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #923 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.