Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #920
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Next lens?" Previous topic | Next topic
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 10-Dec-09 12:45 PM
26546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Next lens?"
In response to In response to 0

Richmond, US

> I've been told that the 18-135 lens isn't very good

Actually that isn't the usual reputation of this lens at all. It may not be built for the ages, but it's actually quite good optically.

> have seen that in some of my shots (especially when almost fully zoomed out)

Before assuming that it's the lens, it might help to investigate why the shots didn't come out as well as you'd like. A sample with EXIF information would help. To put it bluntly, most of the time when someone has bad results with a lens generally regarded as pretty good, it's the user's technique that's at fault.

> is the 55-200vr the optimal second lens for sports and shots where I need the zoom?

The 55-200vr is a nice lens, but it depends on what kind of sports you might be considering. I can think of quite a few sports situations where the 55-200 will fall far short of what's necessary. Any sports indoors will likely not work at all with this lens, and any sports at night is almost certainly out of the question.

It also depends on whether or not 200mm is enough focal length for the application. (Zoom refers to the variable length nature of the lens, not the actual amount of magnification.) Say a bit more about what you'd be shooting. There are some things for which 200mm is plenty, others where you'll really prefer something longer.

> Another option is the sigma 18-200mm lens, but unsure if the quality of that is on par with the nikon.

In some respects it's better. It's definitely better built than any of the Nikkors you've mentioned. (It still falls well short of the professional Nikkors in this category, though.) Optically it is close to a match for the Nikon 18-200VR, and certainly for most applications it's functionally as good.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A topic tagged as having a questionNext lens? [View all] , zuninet , Mon 30-Nov-09 10:09 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Next lens?
MEMcD Moderator
30th Nov 2009
greenwing Gold Member
01st Dec 2009
PhotoRaoul
10th Dec 2009
zuninet
10th Dec 2009
blw Moderator
10th Dec 2009
MEMcD Moderator
10th Dec 2009
zuninet
10th Dec 2009
MEMcD Moderator
10th Dec 2009
blw Moderator
10th Dec 2009

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #920 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.