nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #861
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Best Option between Raw and JPEG?" Previous topic | Next topic
Donald Kahn   US  Registered since 16th May 2009 Sun 15-Nov-09 06:46 AM
266 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Best Option between Raw and JPEG?"
In response to In response to 0

Hi Glyn

As Brian said, "it depends." You should probably research the topic in more detail as there is a lot of information out there to help you make an informed decision. I shoot Raw+Jpeg just to make sure that I have a Raw file of those few "great shots" that I want to post-process. With Raw files, you should know that if you are going to do post procesing, that you need a program such as Nikon's Capture NX to recognize, read, and then fully edit the file, whereas JPEGS can be handled by almost all photo editing software. Also, if you take your images to the corner drug store for printing, they will, most likely, not be able to print your Raw files for the same reason. I like to print a lot of my images, right off the card, onto my snapshot printer, and if I didn't shoot JPEGs, I would have to convert the Raws before I could do that.

One important thing to note, as Brian stated, is that JPEGs deteriorate each time that they are opened and saved. So, if you have an image that you really like, and want to keep and view forever, you should have a RAW image.

Best of luck with your new Nikon. My son just bought a D5000, and he loves it.

Don

Alert Print | Reply | Quote

A topic tagged as having a questionBest Option between Raw and JPEG? [View all] , Gluggy , Thu 12-Nov-09 04:09 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Best Option between Raw and JPEG? blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
12th Nov 2009
Reply message RE: Best Option between Raw and JPEG? Donald Kahn
15th Nov 2009
Reply message RE: Best Option between Raw and JPEG? Gluggy
15th Nov 2009
     Reply message RE: Best Option between Raw and JPEG? Donald Kahn
15th Nov 2009
Reply message RE: Best Option between Raw and JPEG? vandevantersh
18th Nov 2009
Reply message RE: Best Option between Raw and JPEG? Gluggy
19th Nov 2009
     Reply message RE: Best Option between Raw and JPEG? dimitrios66 Silver Member
22nd Nov 2009

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #861 Previous topic | Next topic