nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #8124
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Nikon D3200 focus - Viewfinder vs Live View" Previous topic | Next topic
pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Martinsville, US  Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011 Tue 14-May-13 04:18 PM
658 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Nikon D3200 focus - Viewfinder vs Live View"
In response to In response to 0

I have this camera and use Aperture Priority to take pictures. But The older D3000 version of this camera I had and I started out using Auto and took great pictures (at least by my standards - no most of the pros on this forum would like say everything I take would be trash to them - but beauty is in the eye of the beholder). So Option 1 shouldn't be an Issue.

On issue 3 If you have the lens set with VR (Vibration reduction) turned on unless your severely shaky That should not be much of an issue. IF it is even with VR on go to Walmart and get a good Tripod or a Monopod. I recommend WalMart/Kmart as apposed to a Camera shop because if you are just starting out you don't need a $500-2000 Tripod when there is a possibility you might get frustrated and quit or get tired/bored wnd decided to quit. I started out with a Focal Brand Tripod from Kmart back when I used Chinnon 35 MM SLR's It was expensive for me at the time. But dug it out of the closet anddusted it off and it still works great.

on issue 4 I've taken a lot of Pictures with the very lens you have and it takes great pictures. So 4 is not much an issue. If I had $600-750 Prime Lens that f-stop went down F/1/8 or 1.4 I am sure I could capture pictures in Lower light. But to start out with its more than sufficient. One companion lens I would suggest you get is the 55-200mm zoom lens (that sometimes is packaged with the camera).

Issue 2 would more likely be your problem. To help

1. I would use Aperture Priority
2. Turn on AF Assist (Auto Focus)
3. Turn on Range Finder
4. Turn on VR on each lens you use (except when On Tripod)
5. and most important set the Diopter adjustment for the eyepiece.

6. to set turn off auto focus on a lens (doesn't make any difference)
7. Grab focus ring and while looking in view finder, focus on some object that has some type of edges to it.
8. now locate the diopter adjustment wheel and move up or down several time until it comes into sharp focus.

Now turn auto focus back on, press shutter release half way down.
when in focus you should hear a beep and in the view finder the little green dot will become solid. Then finish press down shutter. Press easy but firm enough for it to take picture. Don't jab it and don't press so hard your finger hurts or turn s white.

Here is a sample of what I took with by d3200. Because the gallery size constraints the picture on my computer and out of my camera better by a factor of 10-100.

Click on image to view larger version

I am sure there will be other especially the pros that will rip into my advice and say my photos are junk because they make their living at such. If they give better advice take it. I'm what you call an amateur/Hobbist. But even the pros started out as such.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

Alert Print | Reply | Quote

A general, generic topicNikon D3200 focus - Viewfinder vs Live View [View all] , daveyoung , Mon 13-May-13 01:44 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D3200 focus - Viewfinder vs Live View pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
14th May 2013
Reply message RE: Nikon D3200 focus - Viewfinder vs Live View BGD600
14th May 2013
Reply message RE: Nikon D3200 focus - Viewfinder vs Live View daveyoung
17th May 2013
Reply message RE: Nikon D3200 focus - Viewfinder vs Live View mareng
08th Jul 2013
Reply message RE: Nikon D3200 focus - Viewfinder vs Live View blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
17th May 2013
Reply message RE: Nikon D3200 focus - Viewfinder vs Live View pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
18th May 2013
     Reply message RE: Nikon D3200 focus - Viewfinder vs Live View coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire”
26th May 2013
27th May 2013
               Reply message RE: Nikon D3200 focus - Viewfinder vs Live View Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
27th May 2013
Reply message RE: Nikon D3200 focus - Viewfinder vs Live View WD4MLA Silver Member
19th May 2013
27th May 2013
     Reply message RE: Nikon D3200 focus - Viewfinder vs Live View briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills
27th May 2013
Reply message RE: Nikon D3200 focus - Viewfinder vs Live View adams03
04th Jul 2013
06th Jul 2013
Reply message RE: Nikon D3200 focus - Viewfinder vs Live View adams03
09th Jul 2013
Reply message RE: Nikon D3200 focus - Viewfinder vs Live View RRowlett Silver Member
08th Jul 2013
09th Jul 2013

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #8124 Previous topic | Next topic