nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: RAW+JPEG vs RAW"

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Wed 13-Feb-13 12:59 PM

Another option is to use PhotoMechanic and shoot raw only, which is what I do. With that strategy the "JPG" is initially the medium quality (but full resolution) JPG embedded by the camera in the raw file. Any edits done in Capture NX2 will embed an almost highest quality JPG in the NEF.

Photomechanic can then either do a straight extract of that JPG or a "Save As" with specified resolution, quality, watermarking, and other niceties.

I find that in most cases the camera embedded JPG is good enough for web sized images. Otherwise I usually edit the image anyway, or occasionally take the time to essentially re-render the embedded JPG with a "Save as" in CNX2 back to the original NEFs (replacing them).

One advantage of using Photomechanic is that it is far faster than ViewNX2 because it is only extracting the existing JPG rather than re-rendering it. On my Core i7 laptop I can render around 150 NEFs with ViewNX2 in about 5 minutes. With Photomechanic an extract takes less than 10 seconds.

In terms of speed verses quality there are various inherent compromises with either method (and also the 3rd method, which is to create Raw + JPG in camera).

my Nikonians gallery.

A topic tagged as having a question RAW+JPEG vs RAW [View all] , NikonOz , Fri 08-Feb-13 03:51 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: RAW+JPEG vs RAW